PC freezing inserting commercial DVD film

Short Bloke 22:18 17 Nov 2004

Running XP Pro, BENQ DVD ROM drive, WinDVD, Nvidia Geforce 440mx 8x agp card, AMD 2500+, 768MB ram. PC freezes when placing a commercial DVD film in the drive. Unable to move mouse but all comes back after ejecting disk. HDD and DVD drive lights constantly light during problem. System event logs state "The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block." DVD's play OK in normal home DVD player, and 'older' dvd films play OK too in drive. No problems with data DVDs. Any advise greatfully received!

SANTOS7 23:23 17 Nov 2004

The error message you get relates to the disc being damaged or scratched to a point where no information can be read from it.If it is just a film and not important data then i would say you have nothing to worry about, a fair test would be to get another disc with the same film on it and try that or try the disc in another PCs optical drive,good luck........

Short Bloke 19:02 18 Nov 2004

Cheers for that, but this happens on 3 commercial DVD's that I've tried, and all of them play OK in my home DVD player!! I originally thought it might be something to do with Macromedia protection but I get no error messages and can't run any apps. Haven't tried the DVD's in another PC yet but will do. I'll let you know what happens!

Noelg23 19:16 18 Nov 2004

I was going to say maybe its the DVD drive itself...have you tried upgrading the firmware at all? but its a good idea your going to try another DVD drive on another PC to see if it happens on that too. but looks like it could be the drive itself...even more strange would be the cable for the drive...

Short Bloke 16:03 19 Nov 2004

OK. Tried DVD on a laptop also running WinDVD. With this I can see the contents of the DVD with Explorer (a good start!) but the laptop also refuses to play the DVD. WinDVD says that it's playing but the screen remains blank! As my PC doesn't even want to read the disk I can only assume it's the DVD Drive. I'll check the BENQ website to see if a firmware update is available. The Drive is a little old now so may just replace it for a burner and be done with it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?