PC freezing and crashing doing basic tasks

superfastjellyfish 21:30 28 Oct 2014

Hi guys,

For the last week my PC (Windows 7, quad core, 16GB ram) keeps freezing and crashing whilst doing things like loading folders with a lot of files in (the files appear blank with no thumbnail), loading web pages on Chrome, and watching my PC-TV app. The crash is always the same: the screens freeze, the sound drones and stutters, then the screens go black. Not actually a blue screen. Then when I try to restart it just makes a few beeping sounds, and I have to wait a while with the power switch turned off to get a reboot when I can log back in to windows.

I keep a clean PC with regular CC-clean sessions and good house keeping. I'm not a gamer but I do keep a high spec for 3D animation and design. Luckily I just did a backup! There are no new hardware additions and the only major change in the last week is a graphics card update.

If anyone has any ideas where to start (typical designer here, work in the apps but the tech baffles me!) I really would be very appreciative.

Cheers

Matt

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:53 28 Oct 2014

it just makes a few beeping sounds

Beep Codes click here overheat. although the new graphics card may be faulty

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

Probably

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?