PC Freezing

allclear 00:31 06 Oct 2008

Hello All,

I need some help please. My computer keeps freezing every now & then. I think it has a virus on it. I bought a mcafee internet protection software which has an anti virus softwrare in it but I am unable to install it as its saying that an error has occured. I am also unable to to uninstall some programmes from add & remove programmes. I believe these kinds of problems occur because the virus tries to hide some programmes in this way so that one cannot uninstall programmes.

How do I get rid of this virus/s. Please HELP. Are there any free Anti Virus Software that I can get just to make sure that this is a virus related problem before purchasing a virus software because If I buy one & then find that I cannot install it then its money wasted. Thanks

brundle 00:47 06 Oct 2008

Download and install (with luck you'll get no problems doing so). Choose to run a boot scan when asked. click here

If you do have problems do a "clean boot" of Windows and try installation again; click here

brundle 00:48 06 Oct 2008

I am assuming you have no antivirus software installed now. If you do you must remove it before installing another.

MarvintheAndroid 08:28 06 Oct 2008

You can run free online virus scans at Trend Micro or Kepersky : click here

Here are a number of specific specific removal tools : click here

However there is a risk that some system files may be deleted by the removal tools, rendering your system inoperable. Sorry to say that if the infestation is severe, a re-format and re-install of Windows may be your best option.

There are some bootable antivirus cd images out there, but be very careful where you download them from - a number are from warez sites and cannot be trusted.

Finally, ask your mates if any of them can make a bootable antivirus rescue cd for you. Many anti-virus packages give this an option.

Come on guys, how long will it take to get the message out - Antivirus , Firewall, Backup.

Marv

woodchip 09:20 06 Oct 2008

As above you cannot have more than one Anti-Virus without having problems

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?