PC Freezing

achristm1 12:05 29 Dec 2007

Have been experiencing serious problems with my pc including unable to open Internet Explorer and then when I eventually get online the screen starts to fragment horizontally and the machine totally freezes. Have recently installed some up-to-date virus software supplied by Virgin Media during which process it did identify and delete some spyware software. The pc does not seem much better with the screen not fragmenting at all but I am still getting occasions when the pc freezes and I have to turn off manually to reboot. Was thinking of running the Reg Cure registry cleaner free download which according to the website can sort out this problem. Does anyone have any good or bad reports about this please.

birdface 12:13 29 Dec 2007

Try a system restore to a point before you added the Security programs from virgin.

achristm1 12:28 29 Dec 2007

The original problem had been going on for quite some time but had gone progressively worse recently. Do you mean restore to the time immediately before adding the Security programe or, say, 6 months ago when I very first started having problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:41 29 Dec 2007

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?