PC Freezing

This problem seems to have gradually got worse over the last few months - I initially thought it was just when connected to the net but happening at any time now.

The computer just freezes with no error messages and needs a hard reboot to get going again. When it starts again the computer boots normally without going through scandisk.

I suspectthis is most likely a hardware problem rather than software one but where do I start to find the cause.

PC is a 1200mhz Athlon running Xp Home

Paranoid Android 11:27 12 Mar 2004

I would start by testing your memory - click here to download Memtest.

Marvin

Tried Memtest for and that appeared OK (did about 240% coverage test).

Of course while doing it the pc did not freeze!

Any other ideas anyone??

Indigo 1 16:10 24 Mar 2004

Check for "dust bunnies" it could be heat related.

I would have a look inside and make sure it is all nice and clean including the PSU (don't take cover off just blow it out) and that all fans are working and not obstructed.

It might also be worthwhile re-seating the RAM and making sure all connectors are nice and tight, including those on the Hard drives etc.

Make sure it has been defragged and also make sure you have enough free space on your hard drive for proper running of swap file.

Cheers Indigo 1

Tried all of your suggestions :-(

- thinking back I cant remember this problem before fitting a new CPU (AMD 1200) - It was a hand me down - could the CPU be causing this?

I have just checked my CPU Temp with Sisoft Sandra and it is running at 40.4 c, is this withing normal limits?

Indigo 1 16:38 24 Mar 2004

That is well within normal limits.

Can you put back the other CPU to see if it still has the problem ?

Yep I think that will have to be my next move - I`ll have to pick up some thermal paste next time I`m near a PC shop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?