PC Freezes at startup - No BIOS screen

BlessedMan 15:46 02 Oct 2007

I have an Asus P4U800X motherboard,
BIOS at 1006,
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz CPU,
350W PSU
Running XP with 1gb Ram

My system has been running slow recently so after defrag and reducing did not speed it up as I liked I decided to double my RAM so I bought 2 1gb ram sticks, I installed it and everything was ok for 15 mins, then system reboots all of a sudden, this happened again then I checked all cables and it happened again and then a blue screen showed. then after this the SYSTEM WOULD NOT GO TO BIOS!!!!. WILL NOT POST

Following suggestions from other threads I unplugged the HDD, floppy and DVD/CD writer
and used 1 RAM stick but I cannot get the PC to POST so there is no way I can boot it.

I am beginning to suspect PSU or motherboard has crocked. Any sugesstions please

woodchip 16:16 02 Oct 2007

Swap the ram or try the old ram back in

BlessedMan 16:33 02 Oct 2007

Yes I tried that nothing changed. I forgot to mention that when I switch on the PC a green light comes on the motherboard as normal but a red light shows on the HDD light and on the CD writer and the power switch does not work.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:03 02 Oct 2007

Put it back to the original condition.

Reset the BIOS by using the clear BIOS jumper or by removeing the CMOS battery for a few minutes.

Then retry and see what happens.

BlessedMan 17:10 02 Oct 2007

Thanks, I tried it but nothing changed

woodchip 21:46 02 Oct 2007

My view is the Motherboard as packed in.

But before you try one. It would be cheaper to first test the PSU with a known good working one

BlessedMan 12:13 08 Oct 2007

Hi Woodchip, you are right motherboard is dead. I have replaced it but I now have another problem with my hard disk I may start a new post regarding this

woodchip 14:55 08 Oct 2007

It may have taken the Hard Drive out also, it did one one of mine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?