pc freezes at boot up stage, please help!

johnnyk76 18:02 20 Jan 2007

hello. can you help me please? i was using my dads new pc and it froze while i was online so i switched off from the mains, not realising i could force shutdown with the power button. now when i start it up, it stays on the packard bell boot up screen for about 10/15 minutes before starting normally. ive tryed the bios menu but not quite sure what im doing. i press the f2 button to access bios and this can take 10/15 mins to come up. my dad is not very happy as you can imagine, and im worried ive damaged it by switching off at mains? id be very grateful for your help.
thanks
john

STREETWORK 18:11 20 Jan 2007

Reboot the PC into safe mode.

From safe mode run scan disk and defragment the hard drive.

Reboot the PC once done. If there is still a problem with slow booting open msconfig from start/run. On the start up tab deselect any programs you do not want windows to load when it starts again.

johnnyk76 18:52 20 Jan 2007

hello again. thanks for your advice streetwork i will try that. pc is only 1 month old so theres not many files to defragment or programs that load when it starts. do you think ive damaged pc by switching off at mains? because it happened when i did that.
thank you
john

VoG II 18:57 20 Jan 2007

Start, Run, type

cmd

and click OK. You should now be at a prompt that ends with >

type

chkdsk /f

and press enter.

johnnyk76 15:03 21 Jan 2007

hello. since i switched off pc from the mains it has been taking 10 mins to boot up.i have now found that if i unplug the usb lead for my printer from back of pc it boots up normally but plugged in takes 10 mins. i have changed the lead, and still the same so the lead is ok. i have tryed another device in usb port while booting and it boots up normally so i think usb ports are ok. once computer has started i plug printer back in and the printer works normally. im confused can anyone help me please?

Kingfisher 15:23 21 Jan 2007

try deleting printer software in add/remove programs you will find that in control panel.
then reinstall printer software.
good luck

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:06 21 Jan 2007

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.

Aarchaic 21:15 30 Jan 2007

Ok here is what i found if the PC/Laptop freezes at the POST test its cause of a simple problem and there is 2 ways around it.

1 switch of the printer till you booted up into you Operating system.

2 goto your bios and disable the USB Boot up.

the reason it freezes is cause of the memory card slots the epson printer has and the pc detects that as a USB memory device and wants to retrieve information of it for the boot strap process to boot the p once it goes through the POST test.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017