PC freezes on boot up

Hetti 16:45 17 Dec 2009

I have a second PC abt 3yrs old, it freezes at the win logo on boot uo.
I tried to boot in safe mode it started and run all the white digits on the black background, then froze at the end of that,so I have the screen showing the end of that list of digits but it is just stuck there.

Can anyone advise?

Technotiger 16:54 17 Dec 2009

Sounds as if the hard drive is/has packed up, though there are other possibilities, like dead/dying PSU or CPU, or even RAM problem

You need to try a process of elimination, perhaps starting with the RAM, remove and re-seat, if more than one stick try one stick at a time - for starters.

Hetti 17:51 17 Dec 2009

OK Technotiger
Ill do that, if i dont get back on tonight it will be tomorrow morning, as hubby will need his PC tonight so Ill not have means to get back to you.

Hetti 18:02 17 Dec 2009

Technotiger
I just went to try memory as you said and noticed I had left an SD card in the card reader slot, I removed it and tried to boot and it worked fine, will this be the reason PC would not boot?

T I M B O 19:14 17 Dec 2009

I would make sure you have cleaned out ur pc,,, Make sure that all except the firewall & antivirus are removed from the msconfig,,,Also check the hard drive>>>1) Click Start

2) Click My Computer

3) Right Click Drive (C:)

4) Click Properties

5) Click Tools

6) Erro-Checking Click Check Now

6) Tick Both Boxes

7) Click Start

Best of luck.

Also here is some software to clean up that pc...

CCleaner (slim version, No toolbars) click here(Software)(Version%202.26)/ccsetup226_slim.exe

Atf cleaner for temps, cookies, in several browsers >>> click here or this one click here

Free cleanup program click here direct download >> click here

Download and install update on every scan (full) and all drives in safemode with infections found do this > show results> remove selected > then save notepad to desktop to send to others that can help >>> click here

Superantispyware, kills trojans and more >> click here

MRU Cleaner>> click here

Best of luck !!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:36 17 Dec 2009

left an SD card in the card reader slot, I removed it and tried to boot and it worked fine, will this be the reason PC would not boot?

Yes if the BIOS is set to boot from "other devices"
then a memory card in at start up will casue the problem.

With my desktop I get the same problem if I try to boot with a blank CD in the drive.

Hetti 20:03 17 Dec 2009

Thanks Guys
I will clean PC as suggested,
It seems to be OK now

Technotiger 20:14 17 Dec 2009

Hi, sorry, I have been away (well, having my afternoon kip actually - us oldies need it), but happy to see your issue is resolved - yes, that card in slot, was the obvious answer.

Cheers TT.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?