Pc Freeze when I use a cd

MichaelF 16:09 05 Mar 2009

When I insert a cd and try to access it my PC freezes.
It used to happen intermittantly but now seems to happen everytime.
Nothing has changed recently that I am aware of. I have checked to make certain I have the latests drivers.
I have checked Event Viewer and the only thing that seems to be strange there is something called
lxdxCATSCustConnectService failed to start, what ever that is!
I am running windows xp, service pack 3. I use Norton anti-virus.
I have an intel pentium 4 cpu 3.4ghz and 1.obg of ram.
I use Nero 6 for cd/dvd etc.

Any ideas

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:59 06 Mar 2009

lxdxCATSCustConnectService

lexmark printer?
if so reinstall printer software and drivers.

Uninstall your CD / DVD RW drive in in device manager and reboot the machine let windows find and reinstall the drive.

MichaelF 16:54 06 Mar 2009

Thanks for the suggestion.
I uninstalled both my cd and dvd drive and rebooted the PC. Both drives were recognised and reinstalled.
As soon as I put a cd in the pc froze!

I think you are right about the lexmark printer as I have one. I think it must related to the fact that I use it wi-fi and the non-connection is because it is not hard wired.

Still back to my main problem, any other suggestions?

Michael

Sea Urchin 17:02 06 Mar 2009

But did you reinstall printer software and drivers as Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggested?

MichaelF 17:13 06 Mar 2009

No, do you think I should as there is nothing wrong with the printer.

Michael

Sea Urchin 17:28 06 Mar 2009

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ said the "strange" message you are getting in Event Viewer relates to your printer - so yes I think you should.

Demora 17:41 06 Mar 2009

Have you tried a cd/dvd cleaner. I used to get similar problems, I cleaned the lasers and things were fine for a while. Then eventually The DVD drive just died a death.

Also if you've been into the pc case. you may have jolted a wire from the drives in question. Might help to check these.

D

MichaelF 18:58 06 Mar 2009

I can't re-install the printer software because when I put the software cd into the drive the PC freezes!

I haven't opened the back of the PC so I don't think it can be that.

Michael

MichaelF 07:00 23 Mar 2009

Serching through the internet I found a reference to a similar problem. It suggested that the programme Ahead InCD caused the problem. I didn't think I had that programme on my PC but I found it there. It had been put on by Nero when I updated my version of their CD burner.
I have taken it off and everything works perfectly again. No problem with any Cds, DVDS or any programme.
Problem solved.
Thanks guys for help and suggestions.

Michael

Sea Urchin 11:13 23 Mar 2009

Thanks for the feedback

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone