Pc Freeze

chocolate cake 17:51 08 Nov 2006

Please can anyone help? My home PC (Windows XP) loads up but when I try to access the Internet the cursor changes momentarily but then stops, therefore I cannot get on t'internet.

I have run a virus checker and it stated there are 2 virus's & recommended cleaning them. I OK'd it but then it froze & I had to re-boot. I cannot remember the name of the virus detected.

This has happened when I try to open up the control panel or other programs & when I shut down using Task Manager as the shut down process begins the program that I was trying to open then opens for a second & closes because the computer is now shutting down. I have had the computer just 12 months so wondered if it should be formatted & start again? I would prefer not to if at all possible.

I tried booting into SAFE mode and running the virus scan again and it still freezes.

I have read that disabling system restore and running the AV may work. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Posted on behalf of a colleague.

Pineman100 18:05 08 Nov 2006

Are you able to identify the date when the problem started?

If so, then I certainly wouldn't disable System Restore, as this will lose all your restore points. I would use it to restore back to a date before the problem started.

Bear in mind that you will lose any software that was installed after that date, but you won't lose data files.

chocolate cake 18:46 08 Nov 2006

Point taken. As I said I'm trying to resolve this for a colleague and he doesn't work in the same office.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?