PC Fan Questions....

TheShoopShoopSong 14:59 03 Mar 2003

I have 2 extra case fans in my computer and they do generate a lot of noise so i was thinking about buying a Rheobus click here

I wasnt too usre on how they actually work as the description in ebuyer is a little limited. do i connect my case fans to the rheobus which then connects to a 4pin molex connector, or do i connect it to the rheobus and then that connects to the mother board? does anyone have something similar to this iun their pc? do they reduce noise dramatically, and are they worth getting?

Stuartli 15:14 03 Mar 2003

Have you tried putting a drop of thin oil or WD 40 or its equivalent (Redex, intended for car engines, is an alternative) in your current fans?

It often cuts noise quite substantially.

Also are the fans pulling (pushing) air in the correct direction? A mark on the fan indicates the air flow.

TheShoopShoopSong 15:18 03 Mar 2003

the fans have been well cleaned and oiled and they are pointing in the right directions. the one at the front is blowing air in, and teh one at teh back blows air out.

Pesala 15:29 03 Mar 2003

From what I heard, WD40 destroys grease. It is not a lubricant at all, but will free up rusted nuts.

TheShoopShoopSong 15:36 03 Mar 2003

Stuartli told me about WD40, but i didnt use that. i used just some standard lubricant to make the fan run smoother. what i actually used, i cant remeber. all dust and dirt has been removed from the fan. but my original post was about the Rheobus not fan cleaning =)

Anyone out their with some sort of review on fan Rheobuses or can answer my questions from b4?
Thanks

« Ravin » 15:53 03 Mar 2003
  TheShoopShoopSong 17:21 03 Mar 2003

lol no offence, but im not really into finding the uses of WD40, but more on if a fan Rheobus is good or not, and how it actually works. anyone out there who actaully know anything on this???

Rayuk 17:25 03 Mar 2003

Have a read may explain things for you
click here

Pesala 17:45 03 Mar 2003

1. It ties up a drive bay.

2. It doesn't reduce noise when you are working, only when the PC is idle. Might as well turn it off to get a bit of hush.

I would recommend looking for a quieter fan or fans. click here

On my system it seems to be the cpu fan that makes the most noise, but if I manage to silence that one by using a flower cooler or different fan, no doubt I will begin to notice the noise made by the psu fan or the hard disk.

What has made a noticeable differnce is moving the mini-tower base unit to underneath the desk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?