Pc Fan

swanny2 00:33 15 Sep 2007

ive just noticed my fan at the back of my pc,seems too sound louder than what it use too/
Is this a Problem i should solve please?
thanks
Swanny
:O)

Acx 02:20 15 Sep 2007

Check the case vents for a large build up of dust and hoover them out.

crosstrainer 07:02 15 Sep 2007

And if that fails, replace the fan...only cost a few quid, and prevention is better than an overheating PC :)

jack 08:25 15 Sep 2007

Ultimately a replacement, but before that and after the clean up. lift the label in the centre of the fan add a merest smear of light oil[NOT WD40] replace the label.

swanny2 10:20 15 Sep 2007

ok thanks will try that

Totally-braindead 12:30 15 Sep 2007

Please note the merest smear advice from jack, you will be surprised how far one single drop of oil can manage to spray itself. Personally I just clean it and if that fails replace it as I tend to be a bit heavy handed with oil and would probably end up with it sprayed all over the place.

Probabilitydrive 14:04 15 Sep 2007

Some info of a fan failure and its consequences click here

jack 19:28 15 Sep 2007

Don't frighten the Guy BD
If the drop fills the bearing pit and surplus carefully wiped away and the label carefully replaced
No probs.
A few years ago a friend had a Tiny -remember those?
He called the engineer because of the same noise problem.
Said engineer sussed the prob- retreated out side to his car- and returned with the dipstick with the sticky end on a cloth and administered the drop.
Worked a charm. ;-)

fishface113 20:59 15 Sep 2007

They cost as little as 69 pence, why in gods name clean it or grease it. Chuck it away and buy a new one!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?