PC Failure

Wrinkly1 11:39 15 Nov 2006

I appear to have a system failure on my Grandsons PC.
The startup begins but with no display until the notice "Welcome" is displayed. The screen then goes blank and the PC reboots.
I have assumed an operating system corruption but my problem is that on reboot when using the "delete" key there is no result and I can not get into the BIOS to attempt a reinstall.
Any suggestions ?

rawprawn 11:41 15 Nov 2006

Have you tried hitting F2

rawprawn 11:44 15 Nov 2006

Here is a list of keys to enter BIOS for different computers, which might help.
click here

Wrinkly1 12:16 15 Nov 2006

Thanks for guidance Rawprawn.
Thus far no luck and I now wonder as to cause of failure.
I get nothing on screen until the Windows welcome splash, no Memory test display ect, all that happens is the signal missing sign on the monitor clears and then blank until the welcome notice. This is displayed for a few seconds before the reboot happens.

rawprawn 12:23 15 Nov 2006

Have you tried rebooting with the XP CD in ?

Wrinkly1 12:52 15 Nov 2006

Yes, but I assume that boot order is for HD first.

lotvic 13:11 15 Nov 2006

It seems to be set to reboot on any failure.
The first thing I would do is check all the connections (take them out and put them back one by one) inside & outside the pc. Don't forget to re-seat the ram and check Keyboard and mouse.

rawprawn 13:32 15 Nov 2006

I agree with lotvic

Wrinkly1 15:59 15 Nov 2006

Progress of sorts.

F8 let me into Safe mode but attempts to use System Restore result in the same failure at the point of the Windows flash.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:43 15 Nov 2006

If you can get to safe mode then its a corrupt driver causing the crash (basic drivers only loaded in safe mode).

Try disabling you devices one at a time untill you find the faulty driver. or just update all your drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017