pc fails to start

howard64 17:51 02 Oct 2010

A pc I built for my cousin about 2 years ago - 2GB ram Asus motherboard XP Pro SP3 - working fine last night when he switched it off but would not start this morning. He brought it over to me and I can get it to boot once in about 20 tries. I have replaced the power supply with the same result. When it will not start the fans run and the hard disk tries but no output or beeps. If I remove both sticks of ram I get the beeps that indicate no ram [1 long and 3 short] I have tried another graphics card but same result. I have cleared the bios but this had no effect. Have you any suggestions? When it does start it operates perfectly but neither a restart nor full off and start button will bring it back again immediately. Thanks in advance

sunnystaines 18:00 02 Oct 2010

run memtest to check the ram

download free from
click here

hard drive do you have a spare to try

you have already tested the psu & graphics

last option motherboard, any muck on it causing it to short out, or damaged capacitors.

woodchip 18:12 02 Oct 2010

Still think you have a power problem, As it enough Watts

thms 18:28 02 Oct 2010

Have you tried booting with one ram module. Try with alternate modules to determine if one is faulty. Also how many memory slots do you have?
If more than 2 try ram in different slots.

howard64 15:06 04 Oct 2010

as I could not get the pc to start I had no chance to run memtest. I followed thms's suggestion and found that one of the crucial ballistix modules was the problem. Crucial have now given me a freepost rma to send the pair back for replacement. Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017