PC fails to load OP (Vista) - dreaded blue screen

Llwydyn 19:41 08 Dec 2007

Blue screen appeared this afternoon while computer was idle:
"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."
The message is longer than this but I was then given the option to:
Launch Startup Repair (recommended) which I did.
It does not seem to have worked because the computer then returns to the original blue screen
I have also tried starting in Safe Mode, but this option also results in the blue screen.
Computer is a Mesh - Windows Vista. (Have also posted problem to Mesh but am awaiting reply).
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:56 08 Dec 2007
  Llwydyn 20:37 08 Dec 2007

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\
I tried following the instructions.
Inserted Mesh External Recovery CD and instructed PC to load from CD. It then showed the 'Windows is loading files' message, followed by the Microsoft Corporation logo and the progress bar. It then, unfortunately, returned to the blue error screen.
Have also opened the 'Advanced Boot Options' screen by pressing F8. Although I can choose to run the options listed, PC again results with the blue error screen.
When I choose the option 'Safe Mode', computer seems to load a lot of drivers before stopping at a certain point - it then reverts to - yes - the blue screen - aaah!
My only concern is if the hard disk has had it - although pc does seem to load a lot of drivers in Safe Mode.
Would it be possible for me to load the hard disk as a slave on an XP system - anyone?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:45 08 Dec 2007

Would it be possible for me to load the hard disk as a slave on an XP system - anyone?

Not sure what you mean by "load"
you can certainly fit it as a slave to an XP machine and check for errors on the drive.

Llwydyn 22:05 08 Dec 2007

What I should have said is whether it is possible to install the 500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive from the Mesh as a second or is it slave drive in an XP PC so that I can check if it is at fault. It would also enable me to copy my latest work, although most documents been backed up to a certain point.
Are there any good websites that explain/show how to install a second/slave HD?
The Technical Information message at the bottom of the blue screen is:
***STOP: 0x0000C1F5 (0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)
I've Googled this error message and it seems that it is a very rare message. Although other users have had this problem, I have not been able to find a solution (still waiting for a reply from Mesh).

Llwydyn 00:29 09 Dec 2007

Have been doing a bit of googling regarding hard drives:
"There is no external difference between ATA and SATA hard drives, except for the controller board. The old ATA interface uses a 40-pin parallel cable, the new SATA interface uses a 7 pin connector."
It's getting a bit late now for me to open the case of my XP PC but I would imagine that there's the possibility that the Vista PC hard drive connections will not fit/connect in the XP PC (which is approx. 4/5 years old)?

Llwydyn 18:48 09 Dec 2007

Have just had a look inside my XP PC - it seems that the connections for the hard drive on this PC are different to the connections for the hard drive on my Vista PC.
Having looked online, my best option may be to use and fit one of these which I saw advertised by Maplins:
SATA / USB to IDE / SATA Hard Drive Enclosure.
Would the XP PC be able to read the hard drive from the Vista PC (ie if it's still working)?
Still waiting for a reply from Mesh.

SANTOS7 18:54 09 Dec 2007

STOP 0x0000C1F5)

This error is not covered in a Microsoft Knowledge Base article, but has been known to occur. Research has shown that the following procedures have been successful in resolving the error. Please follow these steps in the order given, checking after each one to see if the problem reoccurs.

1. For desktop computers, open the case and reseat hard drive cables and memory. For notebook computers, reseat the hard drive and memory. Refer to the instructions in the User's Guide.

2. Run System File Checker. Perform this procedure only if you can start Windows. If you cannot, go to Procedure 3.

1. Click Start, in Start Search box, type cmd.

2. From Programs list above, right-click cmd.exe, then select Run as administrator.

3. At UAC screen, enter administrator password or click continue.

4. At prompt, type sfc /scannow.

View Picture

5. System File Checker starts running. Time required to run is dependant on size of drive and amount of files.

6. When completed, type: Exit at prompt, then press Enter.

7. The CMD.exe dialog box closes, restart computer.

3. Run Bootrec.exe /FixMbr. To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start WinRE. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Place the Windows Vista installation disk in the optical drive, then restart the computer.

2. When prompted, press a key to boot from the DVD.

3. Select a language, time and currency, a keyboard or input method (if necessary), then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Click the operating system to repair, then click Next.

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

7. At prompt, type bootrec /fixmbr, then press ENTER.

8. Restart computer.

Llwydyn 19:15 09 Dec 2007

Thank you very much for the suggestion SANTOS7.
RE Step 1: I take it that this means taking the connectors out of the hard drive and re-inserting them and also taking the RAM (ie Memory?) out of the slot and re-insert?
Does the procedure you have suggested wipe clean the hard drive? If so, would it be better if I first tried to read the hard drive on another PC by the method I suggested in my previous response?
RE Step 3: Is the UAC screen the screen which appears by pressing F8?
My apologies for appearing to be so "untechnical"!

SANTOS7 19:37 09 Dec 2007

Reseating cables is just to make sure that they havn't worked loose, there will be NO data loss.

a repair is just that, repairing damaged files,there will be NO date loss..

UAC user Account Control ( no need to press F8) just follow steps described..

Llwydyn 20:42 09 Dec 2007

SANTOS7
My apologies - since I am unable to start Windows, I thought that the instructions meant Step 3!
Procedure 3 (ie: Run Bootrec.exe /FixMbr. To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start WinRE. To do this, follow these steps:) please refer to my second response regarding what happens when I attempt to boot from CD:
'Windows is loading files' message, followed by the Microsoft Corporation logo and the progress bar. It then, unfortunately, returns to the blue error screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?