PC fails to boot on occasion

Hetti 15:34 01 May 2015

My Dell Inspiron One has developed a problem when booting up occasionally.

About six times in four weeks my PC has booted to a black screen the software Hard Disk Sentinal Pro is displayed on the black screen. I then have to press the power button to restart PC sometimes it takes 6/7 tries to get it to boot correctly.I had to do a system restore on one occasion to get it booted up, I was just hoping it might help as restarting it was not working.

When I do get it booted it runs just fine, but I wondered if there was a fix for this.

Any ideas please?

robin_x 17:31 01 May 2015

What edition of Windows do you have? (7/8/8.1?)

=-=-=

Right click C: drive in Explorer > Properties > Tools > Check for errors (select both checkboxes)

It will likely ask to restart and may take a while.

=-=-=

There may also be some hidden partitions

Press Win key+R and type Diskmgmt.msc

Right click first hidden partition and Change letter. Call it P:, say.

Repeat for any others, eg Q:, R:, S:

Back in Explorer, you can now right-click those drives > Properties > Tools etc and check for errors. They won't take long.

You can remove the drive letters when done.

=-=-=

Or it could me a Memory module problem or a Power Supply problem, but they may be tricky on an All-in-One PC.

If you can get at the modules, try re-seating them, or swapping them over.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:09 01 May 2015

It may just be windows updates slow to deploy there have been a lot of hem over the last few weeks.

rdave13 19:58 01 May 2015

Have you changed the power options for it? Had similar problems on Win 8.1 laptop. Troubleshooted the power options and went back to default and have had no reoccurrence. Had everything at max so I think it could be something to do with the CPU being able to be boosted on demand rather than on permanent boost.

Hetti 20:12 01 May 2015

Thanks robin_x Just got back on pc, I run win 7 will try solutions you suggest (if I can).

Fruit Bat Ill bear that in mind.

rdave13 I have not changed power settings

Hetti 16:02 02 May 2015

I did check disk it took 5 hours all was ok there.

I'm afraid I dont feel competent enough to carry out the instructions for hidden partitions, or reseating memory on this PC (All in one) but if this problem persists I may have to try it, or get someone to do it for me.

I will see how it go's .............

Thanks again.

rdave13 17:19 02 May 2015

Have a look at the Reliability Monitor as that could give some clues as to what is happening.

click here

Hetti 18:48 02 May 2015

rdave13 Thanks I had no idea about Reliability monitor, but did as you said the graph shows NOTHING at all no events logged,but I thought I had seen something similar on my PC previously I remembered it is Dell System detect which comes pre installed, I do run it occasionally so I ran that scan just now, it said all was fine only a couple of missed driver updates listed (was for a web cam I was testing to see if it worked on different PC)but I dont know if this is the same as the scan you suggested? PC has been fine today, but the problem was intermittent so will watch and hope.

rdave13 19:38 02 May 2015

Open CMD as administrator and run this command; sfc /scannow (Copy and paste if you like) . It will check your system files and attempt to correct any faults. It will take a bit of time to do so and if it fails to repair any faults you might have to run it a few more times. Worth checking anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?