PC fails to boot up.....

carlos 11:49 22 Apr 2003

Be very grateful for advice. Every time I start up my WinME 1Ghz PC it turns off, after very briefly displaying "error in user.exe......". If I start in safe mode get same. If I start with step by step mode, PC freezes after pressing enter at " msmouse.vxd" line. Then get same error message. Have checked out previous "user.exe" threads but others seem to be able to access PC. Thanks

spikeychris 13:43 22 Apr 2003

click here and wait for it to redirect you.

Chris

spikeychris 13:52 22 Apr 2003

I'm at work so I don't have the flecc link and the make a shorter link is playing up. Just get rid of the spaces in the below and paste into your browser.

http:// support. microsoft.com /?kbid=243372

carlos 15:49 22 Apr 2003

tried it but after asking if it should overwrite ddeml.dll I pressed Y it carried on extracting. Then up came the a prompt. At this stage I assumed I would , according to instructions, remove startup disc( and, presumably, the Win 98 disc?)then shut down. I then restarted and......brief flash of "error loading user.exe....." I presume it hasn't overwritten the file, cos the machine shut down.
Oh dear!

spikeychris 18:45 22 Apr 2003

although it doesn't say so, I would at the a:/ prompt type win and hit enter. If that fails type c and hit enter then type win and hit that there enter key again....

Chris

jeez 18:56 22 Apr 2003

I think user.exe is part of the registry? if so scanregw should help

spikeychris 19:05 22 Apr 2003

USER.DAT is part of the registry.

Chris

jeez 19:08 22 Apr 2003

aah, I knew it was user.? what is user.exe used for then?

spikeychris 19:17 22 Apr 2003

User.exe runs the Start Menu. It also moves Windows and does.....stuff :o)

Chris

carlos 09:17 23 Apr 2003

Thanks spikeychris.Sorry for delay....PC at work. I re-overwrote the file and typed win at a prompt - "bad command..." same with c:\win. I presume that overwrite is negated if I turn PC off at a prompt? ( because I can't boot into windowsME at a nor c prompt?)

carlos 10:04 23 Apr 2003

Thanks for advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?