pc fails to boot up

iain_d 10:38 10 Oct 2007

Hi, can any one help me pls ? I have replaced my power supply after the last one failed. It try's to start runs for a few secounds then shuts down,if i disconnect it from the mains it will start up and run fine, pc has xp running on it, please help me its very frustrating pulling the plug on it all the time !!
Many Thanks

howard64 11:13 10 Oct 2007

Sometimes this can be caused by a usb connection try starting without any connected. Try disconnecting the supply cables and reseating them again. If this does not sort it try disconnecting the power cable from each component [hard drive, floppy, cd/dvd etc.,]in turn to see which one is causing the problem.

iain_d 13:38 10 Oct 2007

Hi howard thanks for your response,
i tried the above in the order that you have said,
still the same still wont boot up. The only time it did was when i reseated the cable onto the motherboard, then it started after that but that is the same as unplugging i guess,
any other suggestions please.
Many Thanks again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:58 10 Oct 2007

Shut down
Switch off at the mains socket but leave the plug in.
Presss and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
(disharges all Mobo capacitors)
Switch the socket bak on and retry booting the PC.

iain_d 16:03 10 Oct 2007

Thanks fruit bat.
If i switch off at the socket it will boot up when i switch the socket back on, there is a green led light on the mobo when this goes out it will start up everytime. Its only when i power xp down and leave it on standby that it wont reboot(led light stays on).
thanks again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:16 10 Oct 2007
  420134 06:02 12 Oct 2007

when i switch my pc on in a morning nothing happens fans starts on in side and lire and green light come on but no poste menu appears it does not boot up can any one help

420134 06:04 12 Oct 2007

can anyone help me with my pc that does not boot up at all to the poste menu

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:52 12 Oct 2007

Start your own thread, DO NOT hijack someones elses.

You will then recieve e-mails to let you know if someone has posted a reply.

Strip t bare essentials - just cpu graphics card - one stick of memory and see if it boots as far as an error message about Hdds missing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?