PC DVD Multi Region?

jackthelad71 13:12 10 Feb 2008

I have two Lightscribe 20x DVDs on my PC Can I
change the Region2 settings to Region0 for multi region?. Or can I buy an external DVD player
that is multi region? USB.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:19 10 Feb 2008

Region setting
There are actually up to 3 region protections on a system:
- 1 in the DVD drive
- 1 in the Operating System (windows) - More info on Windows region management.
- 1 in the software player (eg. WinDVD, PowerDVD...)

When you flash your drive with a region free firmware (RPC-1), you remove the region counter from the drive itself completely, but with this counter gone, the software counters kick in to replace the one from the DVD drive. This means that you still have these other 2 to defeat!!!.
An alternate region free solution that is available for some drives is known as an "Autoreset" firmware: Instead of removing the counter from the drive completely, the counter simply resets itself to an unlocked state when the computer is restarted. This way, the drive appears as region protected (RPC-2) but the counter can be changed indefinitely. Creating autoreset patches is slightly more difficult for the patcher, but makes the life of the user easier because DVD Genie and Region Killer are not required as they are for RPC-1 firmwares.
On the other hand, it's easy for software manufacturers to detect autoreset firmwares, and if they decide to do so, you will still need a software patch in the long run. This is why RPC-1 firmwares are seen by most as the long term solution.

So, unless a program like DISCInfo click here or Drive Region Info tells you that your drive is still protected or you used an autoreset firmware, your drive IS region free, and any region counters that you still see come from software region settings.

To bypass that, you need to use programs such as DVD Genie click here or DVD Region Killer click here (the later is highly recommanded).

Note: Currently, the only software region free solution when using WinDVD Platinum to play DVD's is WinDVD Tweaker Pro ($18.00 US) click here

xvi has written up an excellent article with even more information click here

lofty29 16:15 10 Feb 2008

fruitbat
the xvi site is closed

blanco 17:01 10 Feb 2008

If you have two DVD drives what's the problem, as I do, in leaving one on Region 1 and the other on Region 2?

jimv7 17:28 10 Feb 2008

Try anydvd click here

jackthelad71 13:58 12 Feb 2008

Thank you I tried the DVD Region Killer it worked very good. THANK YOU.Jackthelad71.

I also thank you all for your advise and have copied it to my Files. Cheers, Jack.

jackthelad71 14:02 12 Feb 2008

You are right but I don't Know how to alter the DVD settings please advise if you can. Jack.

Peripheral SQL 14:36 12 Feb 2008

click here is good
it's free
doesn't sit in system tray
only runs when the dvd does
no patching/firmware etc

blanco 16:53 12 Feb 2008

Right click My Computer, select Manage and then Device manager where you will find the DVD players listed,
When you click them open you will see a Region Tab, this shows the current region and allows you to change it.

jackthelad71 15:41 13 Feb 2008

As I said the DVD Region Killer Worked fine.
but I have a question I had a look at the Region finder as Blanco said and found it ok but I
wonder about it saying the Region Setttings can ony be changed Four times then it sticks at the last setting. is this correct or does the DVD Region Killer work diferently?.
PS perhaps Blanco or anyone else who responded
could enlighten me. Thanks Friends. Jack.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:07 13 Feb 2008

If you have a region 2 (europe) and want to play a region 1 disk (US) and change the setting, then change back to 2 you only have one more chance to change again.

Region killer sets the machine to Region 0, will play all region disks therefore no need to ever change again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?