PC DOWNLOADING SOMETHING?

Ritchie2 16:57 03 Aug 2006

Hi, I just connected to the internet and my computer seems to be downloading something but I don't know what. It seems to be a big file as it already downloaded over 100MB, so how do I see what its downloading? Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:02 03 Aug 2006

Ctrl + Alt + Del
task manager see what applications are running, this will tell you which program is doing the download.

Ritchie2 17:10 03 Aug 2006

yeah i just tried that but there's no applications running, also I just checked my firewall and it says something about "generic host process for win32 services" is using 98% of the connection, any ideas of what this could be?

Ritchie2 17:19 03 Aug 2006

it has just downloaded over 300MB and its still going, this is starting to get annoying because I only got 2GB capped monthly broadband :(

rawprawn 17:21 03 Aug 2006

Pull the plug and go into safe mode and scan with something like Ewido
click here

rodriguez 17:23 03 Aug 2006

Try this one:

Go to Start, Run, type cmd and press Enter. Then when the command prompt comes up, type netstat and press Enter. This will give you a list of data transfers on your internet connection. If you want the IP address of these, type in netstat -n.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?