PC down

User-CB94CED6-F3AA-42E7-8A286564F5DCBC14 14:17 28 Oct 2008

I just froze. Switched OFF and power on gives me this state on the screen:

Main Processor : Intel Pentium(R) 4 2.80GHz (200x14.0)
Memory Testing:

And that's it.

1. Cannot use F2 or F8
2. have removed all memory sticks and swapped etc. (if I remove ALL of them the PC complains with beep as expected).
3. temp. remove power connectors from all drives
4. Measure power on connector and all voltages seem present.
5. Remove daughter boards.

All to no effect.

Help appreciated!!!!!!!!

crosstrainer 14:21 28 Oct 2008

Possible HDD failure. Try booting from your operating system DVD / CD DON'T re-install windows yet, just see if it will boot.

Change the boot device order in your BIOS screen first (usually accessed by pressing the DEL key on startup)

No access to BIOS by F2. Also will not boot my Linux live CD. Dead. Motherboard failure. Still wondering what next.

Try to boot from XP Pro CD - no action.

crosstrainer 14:37 28 Oct 2008

Check all cables connecting the hard drive to the motherboard and it's power supply cable as well.

If these are connected, then it sounds like hdd failure to me.

Well, I thought that it might be due to memory because there is no text following the last line shown (expecting soemthing like "OK"). I have 3 Hdd and the C: is an old one. I have removed it's power cable and restarted in the hopes that the BIOS would complain "No C: drive". But nothing.

Do you still think I may have a C: failure?

Is there anything in reseting the CMOS? What will this do?

I tried swapping my C: drive cable to another drive, no OS but if the drive was working I may have expected some report? Nothing changes. I suspect that the C; drive is not faulty. Anyone disagree?

crosstrainer 15:05 28 Oct 2008

Does sound like a corrupt or wrongly set BIOS

Try re-setting it using the jumper (refer to your motherboard manual)

OK, I've found the plug. It has a link across pins 1-2. and a clear between pins 2-3. How do I clear it?

Right, I managed to sort that out and I reset it. However, the screen I now get is a big Packard Bell graphic with key options at bottom. None of them work. It still appears dead. There seems to be a quick drive access then stops.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?