PC does not recognise cd/dvd drive

ardetta 14:02 29 Jan 2006

Hi,
Any advice on why suddenly my PC ( windows XP and up to date) should not recognies my CD/DVD drives and would appreciate suggestions to remedy the problem. Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:14 29 Jan 2006

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error
Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio software.
Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them. Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes. click here

Stuartli 15:01 29 Jan 2006

Also, if the drives do appear in Device Manager in Safe Mode, the most likely cause is loose or incorrectly fitted leads and cables.

It's worth checking them for correct fitting and firmness and then rebooting. Windows, if this was the problem, will Find New Hardware and automatically install the basic CDROM driver(s).

ardetta 16:25 30 Jan 2006

thanks to fruit bat and stuartli. I have tried the suggestions but the cd/ dvd drives are still not recognised. I wonder if there are any other suggestions, thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:33 30 Jan 2006

Unistall the IDE hannel the drives are on and then scan for new hardware, let XP reinstall the channel.

skidzy 18:17 30 Jan 2006

Ardetta.....Have you recently uninstalled a version of NERO buring software ?...I had the same problem but with a different code.I also tried the upper and lower filters to no avail.I fixed the problem by going to microsoft.com and entered the error code and followed the links to get my drive sorted.Im not a IT expert by any means,but i did manage to fix the problem.I hope this helps you..Good luck

leedsafc 13:12 27 Apr 2006

I have had a simular problem (error code 41 and i rectified it as suggested by removing the values suggested in the registry. However i would like to know how this fix works. Although the dvd/cd roms are working to a point i am still having problems with the dvd not being read. Any other thoughts please

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?