pc doc is this worth buying?

rosie12 09:24 21 Feb 2006

Hi,I saw an on-line pc repair advert with a free scan available, I used it to scan my computer and it told me I have 728 faults and if I wanted them fixed it would cost $78, are these programs really worth it?....My computer is only 6 months old with the latest virus/spam/firwall checker, but I thought that I would see what this scan came up with and when it said 728 faults I really wondered if I should maybe buy their product...Please advise

Diodorus Siculus 09:29 21 Feb 2006

I am very wary of paying for anything that makes a diagnosis and then recommends itself as the cure.

There are lots of free options out there that will keep your PC running fine.

Some are even inbuilt into the system:

If you have the XP CD put into the drive, cancel the autorun and go to:

start

run

type:

sfc /scannow

This will cure a lot of XP "errors".

Get CCleaner from click here and use it to clean the registry and remove any temp files that have built up over time.

rosie12 09:31 21 Feb 2006

Thank you so much for your information.....Val

rmcqua 09:42 21 Feb 2006

rosie12
I have tried lots of system repair/maintain tools, both free an paid for. the only one I would (and have) paid for is System Mechanic;
click here
At $39 I think it is a very useful, comprehensive and user friednly tool.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:46 21 Feb 2006

Ccleaner click here and regscrubxp click here Both are free and both will resolve all the 'faults' that the scan found. There is no need for a home user to pay for any registry fixing programmes..waste of money as they all use the same type of repair engine.

G

rmcqua 09:51 21 Feb 2006

Registry "cleaners" are a bit like anti-spyware programs, GANDALF <|:-)> They don't all find the same problems. I've experimented with loads of them and found huge differences in the results. Not that I'm saying that the differences were significant. They may or may not be, depending on the state of a particular machine's registry. But they certainly don't all find the same "problems".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?