So I've bought myself a new PC running windows 8, everything was running great. Had it a few weeks, I powered my printer and went to plug in the USB cable as the USB cable connected with the port at the back the whole power died. Now the PC won't turn on. I tried different power cables different plugs round the house. Nothing.
It is just possible that when plugging in the USB lead either it was a faulty lead or the printer had developed a fault which short circuited the 5 volts line on the USB Socket and has blown a component in the power supply. I appreciate that this would be very unusual as there is normally over current protection on a USB socket however these things do happen very occasionally. Having said that returning the computer to the supplier would seem to be the best course of action here. If you have another computer and are happy to risk it, try plugging the printer with the same cable into another computer or a cheaper solution would be into a cheap powered USB Hub.
Agree with alanrwood that its possible to short circuit USB, would also agree that you return the computer for checking. But be wary that the seller might think that the fault was of your making, and perhaps not a warranty claim?.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.