PC died when plugging in my printer. Help!

Krisfour 21:22 18 May 2014

So I've bought myself a new PC running windows 8, everything was running great. Had it a few weeks, I powered my printer and went to plug in the USB cable as the USB cable connected with the port at the back the whole power died. Now the PC won't turn on. I tried different power cables different plugs round the house. Nothing.

What is goin on. Help!

BRYNIT 21:32 18 May 2014

A computer should not fail by just connecting a USB printer. As its only a few weeks old take it back to where you bought it from.

bumpkin 22:00 18 May 2014

"PC died when plugging in my printer."

That is surprising, I thought that the police were made aware of the dangers of electricity.

rdave13 22:11 18 May 2014

As BRYNIT, connecting to a usb port with a powered peripheral shouldn't make a difference to the PC. Contact the seller as it is unfit for purpose.

alanrwood 09:32 19 May 2014

It is just possible that when plugging in the USB lead either it was a faulty lead or the printer had developed a fault which short circuited the 5 volts line on the USB Socket and has blown a component in the power supply. I appreciate that this would be very unusual as there is normally over current protection on a USB socket however these things do happen very occasionally. Having said that returning the computer to the supplier would seem to be the best course of action here. If you have another computer and are happy to risk it, try plugging the printer with the same cable into another computer or a cheaper solution would be into a cheap powered USB Hub.

spuds 11:48 19 May 2014

Agree with alanrwood that its possible to short circuit USB, would also agree that you return the computer for checking. But be wary that the seller might think that the fault was of your making, and perhaps not a warranty claim?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?