PC died, replacing MOBO. Anything else needed?

lonemascot 10:55 27 Jun 2008

My PC has had a chronic history of randomly crashing. I've had blue screen crashes, complete system freezes, boot failures, disk read failures, corrupt registry files; just about everythhing. Recently it died killing off a 2nd HDD.

I got a 3rd replacement and installed a new OS. It has crashed consistently on startup ever since. I managed to get it going and left the PC on standby as I knew if it restarted or booted up it would have a 'disk read error'.

I have had the new HDD double checked and all is ok.

I've been told that it may be my motherboard or PSU causing me agro.

I have an ASROCK 939S56M board. I can't get a replacement as they are discontinued. Will the ASROCK 939N68PV GLAN be a direct swap?

Also, should I replace the PSU as a matter of caution, if so any ideas of what I should look for?

Do I need to replace anything else while i'm doing this so as to avoid future problems?

System spec as it stands:
Windows XP
AMD athlon 64 5600 (I think)
1024 MB RAM
80 GB HDD
Nvidia 6600

I use it mainly for architectural drawings, internet, office programs, some photo editing.

Lastly, am I wasting my time or should I bite the bullet and order a completely new base unit? I am borasic and can't really afford this option. It'd be a last resort.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jon

splatter 11:59 27 Jun 2008

Sounds like it could be a RAM problem more than a motherboard problem.
Download memtest from click here and run it to see the results. If that come back fine I would then sugggest that it could be your motherboard or graphics card (or the drivers for either).

Does this happen in safe mode?

OCRIDION 12:11 27 Jun 2008

yeah i agree everything goes through the RAM. the only other thing could be PSU not providing enough power to cuase glitches in electrical signals or component glitches.

OCRIDION 12:13 27 Jun 2008

still could be a mother board problem though.

lonemascot 13:20 27 Jun 2008

I have run memtest previously and all was fine.

I have also run a test on the graphics memory as well and that was fine.

Ever since I had the computer it never quite ran properly.

Quiller. 13:49 27 Jun 2008

"Will the ASROCK 939N68PV GLAN be a direct swap?"

Just about. If you are using old windows from the hard drive, you may have to do a repair to change the different chipsets. if it's a clean install of windows, you should be fine. Apart from that all things match.

If you can afford one, get one. This could give you 2 options.

If you try the new psu in your old motherboard, you may find that the psu has been the fault all the time and you could return the motherboard.

Use the new ps and motherboard and keep the old psu, if it works, as a backup. Always worth having a spare psu.

Quiller. 13:49 27 Jun 2008

Thats a psu.lol

jack 13:58 27 Jun 2008

Can get quite expensive and frustrating.
Cut your losses
Go to click here
and buy a MoBo /processor/menory bundle and a power supply to suit.
And then have done with it.

lonemascot 14:39 27 Jun 2008

I was looking at a PC on PC worlds website click here for £409.99.

I have a micro ATX PC does this mean that I'm limited to what motherboard bundles I can choose from?

If I just replaced one of the components ie. the motherboard and not the PSU could an existing faulty component then cause failure in the new components?

ALso, do PSU come in ATX and Micro ATX sizes or can I just get any one?

Ditch999 14:44 27 Jun 2008

I have a micro ATX PC does this mean that I'm limited to what motherboard bundles I can choose from? = YES

If I just replaced one of the components ie. the motherboard and not the PSU could an existing faulty component then cause failure in the new components? = YES

do PSU come in ATX and Micro ATX sizes or can I just get any one? = You have to get one the same. There are different fittings available.

lonemascot 14:58 27 Jun 2008

Stuff this rebuild my busted PC for a laugh. I'm more likely to FUBAR it than actually fix anything.

Is this PC any good for the money click here If so I'll just buy that and be done with.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?