PC dead - retrieve data help wanted

Riddo 11:55 29 Aug 2007

My old Pentium II has died - think the power supply has gone - won't switch on, cable is OK. Not too bothered about PC, rarely used it, but how do I cheaply and easily access the data on the hard drive?

iambeavis 12:02 29 Aug 2007

Hard disk caddie - click here

iambeavis 12:12 29 Aug 2007

Cheaper still - click here

Riddo 12:28 29 Aug 2007

Thanks for the caddy links - what on earth is it?! Sorry, am not brill with PCs.

iambeavis 12:38 29 Aug 2007

Remove the hard-drive from the PC, put it in the caddy and connect it to another pc - you then use it as an external hard-drive and retrieve your data.

Diemmess 13:41 29 Aug 2007

I can't resist amplifying excellent advice.

A good caddie will have its own power supply unit.

It will have a case which is easy to open.

Any usual HD removed from a computer should fit snuggly inside with data and power leads provided and connecting inside the case.
(The old HD is almost certain to be an IDE (ATA) type, not a SATA, but both are available)

Data can be passed to and from another computer via a USB lead which is also supplied with the caddie.

keef66 14:00 29 Aug 2007

cheaper still (free) just remove the hdd from the dead pc and install it as a second, slave drive in your new pc.

wee eddie 14:30 29 Aug 2007

That is a very Techie solution which would require you to break the Warranty Conditions of most new PC's and would also require you to know how to set it up as a Slave Drive. Not exactly beginners material really.

keef66 17:19 29 Aug 2007

I know, but Riddo didn't post in absolute beginners, and I thought I'd point out the cost-free option anyway.
Only after posting did I spot the 'Sorry, am not brill with PCs' comment.

A caddy is without doubt the easiest way to go.

Riddo 08:14 30 Aug 2007

Many many thanks folks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone