Pc Cutting out - psu or cpu fan probably

AllThumbs 13:07 27 Feb 2006

My pc is starting to turn itself off. Sometimes it's been on a few hours, sometimes just a few minutes. As I'd had the case open a while back and noticed that the graphics card fan wasn't turning I replaced that......but the system is still turning off.

I do have a throttle control for the cpu fan on the front of the system and the last time it turned itself off I'd just increased the power to try and cool things down inside the system.

I've got speedfan running on the system sadly however last night whilst I was surfing the net the cpu which was steadyish about 45C, hd was cool at about 25, but two others temps which I'm not sure what they're for were showing about 54 and one at 80, the latter worried me a lot and I closed down the system.

Basically it seems to me that either my cpu fan (which is a Gigabyte Rocket - click here)is dying or unstable so when I turn it up to cool things down it causes the system to crash,
or the psu is at fault.

System is a Gigabyte (8IK1100) motherboard,

Chipset : Intel i875PE

Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 3200 MHz

Socket 478 I think.

PSU Winpower 550

The other issue here is that there are two fans on the front of the case, 3 internal fans on the graphcs card, cpu and northbridge, and the fans within the psu. There are no fans drawing air out of the case on it's rear. There should be something shouldn't there?

Is my thinking on this straight?

If so does anyone have recommendations on quiet, cool psu and similarly a P4 cooler/fan?

Cheers

Stuartli 13:12 27 Feb 2006

The PSU should be drawing out air to the rear.

It could be that you have too many fans and there is a confliction in air flow - it should be from the front of the case and as "straight" a path as possible to the PSU's outlet.

See this guide:

click here

rmcqua 13:14 27 Feb 2006

This is a good, quiet cooler at a sensible price. I wouldn't replace the PSU just yet.
Yes, you should certainly have a fan drawing the warm air out of the case.

click here

wotbus@ 13:54 27 Feb 2006

Are you able to check the thermal conductivity between the cpu and cpu heatsink? With age/time and temperature this loses it quality and becomes powder-like. If all your fans appear to be working it may be an idea to check. click here then at least you will know your CPU is able to conduct heat away from itself. Without this the best fan in the world won't be much use. Auto shutdown temperature is by default usually in the 80's so overheating seems to be your problem - just a question of finding out what's causing it - airflow or harware.I have never used this monitor before but it may be worth a try:
click here
Good luck.

AllThumbs 16:41 27 Feb 2006

Well I can't reasonably remove any of the fans. Aside from the 2 drawing air in (and across the harddrive) all the other fans are built onto components by necessity.

Mind you, my psu is one of the ones with a fan at the back and at the front of the unit so in fact air has to rise to get to it (whereas some psu's have the fan on the bottom directly over the cpu).

However this pc has been fine for a year or so, which suggests something has changed rather than it's a design fault that's been there all along.

Wotbus - my problem with the sensor programs I'm using is that they all use the motherboard feed which only lists one fan (cpu) and a variety of temperatures....not what temps relate to what part of the machine....leaving me in a limbo of guess work. (and I am not a technical laddie )

Thanks for the ceramic link - will print that out!

AllThumbs 16:36 11 Mar 2006

hmmm.

well will close this. End result was the cpu fan failed, so I replaced the fan & heatsink.

Thanks to all for help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?