PC Cutting out after about half an hour

Koochy 19:33 19 Dec 2006

Hi all me again, I have been given the task of looking at a friends sons desktop computer as they said it was "cutting out after about half an hours use" i asked what they meant by "cutting out" and they said the screen would just go black and shut down leaving the led lit up on the front the problem is i have now had it switched on for about 4 hours playing music and guess what all is okay. I have checked they power settings and they are all fine but i was wondering if there is such a thing as a program that would put a heavy load on to the computer so i could see if anything happens then or if anyone can advise what other avenues i should go down i would be very greatfull.

XP pro sp1
512mb ram
Pent 3 996mhz

VoG II 19:41 19 Dec 2006

3DMark is pretty intensive click here

this any good? click here

Koochy 19:45 19 Dec 2006

Thanks for that VoG but it says that i need to have 1GB minimum system ram and i only have 512MB to play with so will it still work?

Koochy

VoG II 19:48 19 Dec 2006
  Koochy 19:59 19 Dec 2006

Thanks for that i have downloaded it and gave it a try and all seems well up to now but i will leave it running a while longer.

Vog i will have to get back to you as i think this is gonna take a while to download as i only have a 1meg bb connection but i will leave it downloading and get back to you soonest.

Thanks Guys
Koochy

Kalb 21:07 19 Dec 2006

Where is the desktop housed at home ? Is it in a confined space ? Most desktops have ventilation holes in the side of the case as well as at the back and these do need to be unobstructed. Sounds like an overheating problem...could be a loose IDE/ATA cable obstructing the cooling fan on the processor. Have you looked inside ?

Koochy 17:09 20 Dec 2006

Thanks for the suggestion i have had a look inside and couldn't see anything obvious and the desk top unit sits on top of a desk with an LCD monitor on top of so the vents aren't really obstructed and all fans are working okay. I have used one of those cans of compressed air and blown all the dust out of the heat sinks on the cpu.
I have downloaded the program vog advised and i am going to give that a go tomorrow as i have to go out again tonight i will post back and let you all know what the findings are but up to now i haven't actually been able to find the problem myself as the unit was running for about 5 hours last night and never cut out once.

Koochy

Koochy 11:21 22 Dec 2006

VoG™ i downloaded the bench test and ran that and still all was well so upon further investigation i found that the main power supply lead for the pc was damaged (the result of a door going over the top of it). I didn't spot this at first as i just took the tower unit home to test. So all is well now.
Thanks once again.

Koochy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?