PC cuts out, power stops

xppckid 11:11 09 Aug 2011
Answered

Hi, my pc is 3 1/2 years old, just lately it just cuts out and turns off, maybe twice in ten minutes, but then it can keep going all day, i looked on the event viewer it showed ATI2mtag i looked this up it says it is related to the ATI Catalyst drivers, mine is ATI Radeon X1600 series, would i need a newer version ? pc details,

xp home sp3 Amd Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 3800+ 2.16 ghz 1 gig ram hope this helps, thanks.

wee eddie 12:04 09 Aug 2011
Answer

Before you get seriously worried.

Every summer, at about this time, we get a number of similar threads to yours.

Many get solved by giving the inside of the recalcitrant PC, a clean-out of the dust that has gathered there.

spuds 15:04 09 Aug 2011

As it appears to be an intermittent fault, you haven't mentioned if the problem is at first start-up or during daily later use, when the components have warmed up.

You could try a 'dusting- cleaning- reseating', especially if the inners have not been checked for any lengthy time, and if the problem remains, then perhaps download a diagnostic and testing program from somewhere like http://www.majorgeeks.com and run tests on how the computer components are functioning!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone