PC Cuts Out - Fixed By Reseating Memory Card

mick-a 18:43 24 Nov 2009

My daughter's desktop PC keeps shutting down after a few hours use. It then fails to restart when powered on again. By a process of elimination I have discovered that it will restart if I take out the memory card and then reinsert it into the slot. It then boots normally. This always works but clearly is a pain and I am wondering if this is masking the real problem.

Any ideas what could be going on here?

GaT7 18:53 24 Nov 2009

For a start, test the RAM using the free Memtest86+ click here. If opting for the CD method, 'Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)' from click here, unzip contents & burn the ISO using the free ImgBurn click here.

Let the test run at least one complete 100% pass. G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:54 24 Nov 2009

PC keeps shutting down after a few hours use

is usually a heat problem , make sure all vents / grills / fans are clean.

It could also be a problem with the PSU power supply unit, very cheap to replace.

Make and model of machine? operating system?

GaT7 18:55 24 Nov 2009

Sorry, forgot to say, in order to run the test, leave the freshly burnt CD in the drive & change your PC boot sequence in the BIOS to boot from CD-rom drive first. G

mick-a 00:26 25 Nov 2009

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check them out. In terms of details of the machine, it's a generic machine rather than a specific PC manufacturer but the motherboard is an ASROCK 4CoreDual-VSTA which I put into the case as a replacement about 18 months ago. It has a Pentium 4 processor and 2GB of memory on a single card. It is runnning Windows XP with SP3. thanks Mick

mooly 07:33 25 Nov 2009

May be nothing to do with the RAM. The act of removing/refitting may be disturbing something else or it may just give it chance to cool etc in that time.

Try just powering off for a while and restarting or again power off, put pressure on various parts around the RAM and retart.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?