PC crashing randomly Help!!

Giggsy252 22:06 11 Oct 2007

Hi

I am running MCE 2005, and when at random intervals the PC just freezes and restarts!!

happening for the last 4-5 weeks but getting to a point where I want to eradicate this problem!!

Happens ever so randomly whether I am surfing, on msn , watching DVD or just listening to music, even restarted whilst I tried to post this thread 5 mins earlier

I was thinking of doing system recovery, however is that too drastic?

Graham. 22:17 11 Oct 2007

Go Start-Control Panel-System-Advanced-Startup and Recovery-Settings-System Failure.

Uncheck 'Automatically restart', check 'Write an event...'.

You will then get an entry in Event Viewer which can be analysed.

lotvic 22:19 11 Oct 2007

Check for loose parts and wires/cables
Check ram sticks and cards are firmly inserted

In fact, check everything that has a connection.
Things work loose because of the heat/cold when pc is switched on/off - contraction & expansion

Giggsy252 22:21 11 Oct 2007

thanks alot Graham!! is it as simple as that??

i have unchecked the "auto restart" and checked "write an event" but I cant find event viewer?

Giggsy252 22:42 11 Oct 2007

sorry forgot to ask what is the disadvantage of unchecking "auto restart", if any?

woodchip 22:54 11 Oct 2007

Why not check System Restore points to see if you have one before the problem started. then restore it

Graham. 22:59 11 Oct 2007

Start-right click My Computer- Manage- expand Event Viewer-System.

"sorry forgot to ask what is the disadvantage of unchecking "auto restart", if any?"

The next time your computer crashes, instead of restarting you will see the blue screen of death. This will give you some information as to why it crashed which will help us pinpoint the problem so next time it happens make a note of the error message given.

Giggsy252 07:57 12 Oct 2007

thanks alot, will make a note when the blue screen of death appears!

Thanks

Bagsey 08:39 12 Oct 2007

How old is your computer? Have you blown out all of the dust from inside. Check the CPU Fan to see if your machine is over heating. Your problem sounds just like the one I had until I replaced the fan. Now all is OK. Good Luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone