PC crashes, but stuff happens first - any ideas ?

Maiden. 20:40 07 Feb 2008

I have an 18 month old Compaq PC that keeps freezing up - usually happens a couple of times each day, and I've been trying to find a solution for ages.

I've noticed something odd though - about 5 seconds before the freeze occurs, some functions stop whilst others continue. For example, I was editing some artist info on a bunch of MP3's, when suddenly I could no longer get into the field I wanted - I could move the curser and select other files, then sure enough after about 5 seconds the whole PC froze.

Anyone have any experience of such a issue before / any suggestions what may be causing it? All suggestions very much appreciated. Thanks

MAT ALAN 20:43 07 Feb 2008

O/S and amount of memory would help!!

Spy/malware and general clutter i suspect, do you housekeep your PC regularly...

Maiden. 20:51 07 Feb 2008

Vista Premium and 2GB RAM / >160GB HD space.

I run just about everything going to make sure I'm virus / malware / spyware free - fairly confident it is not those things.

brundle 21:59 07 Feb 2008

Have you checked the Event log? start orb/search box, type

eventvwr.msc

Look in the Application and System logs for errors

Maiden. 21:02 09 Feb 2008

Thanks brundle - checked the event log, and it records the 'freeze' but there's no consistent other event to cause it.

Any others ideas very much welcome !

Thanks

original ram or upgrade?
faulty ram
memtest

p;3 21:09 09 Feb 2008

you fail to mention exactly what scans you have run and what your antivirus program is ; some detail would be helpful

when did you last run a defrag on it? and are all your windows updates up to date?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:35 10 Feb 2008

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?