PC Crashes and Shut downs

awd22 18:11 05 May 2008

Can anyone help with a diagnosis on the problem detailed below.

System Below:
Biult 8 months ago
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHZ x 4
Video card - Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 320Mb
Windows Vista Home Premium

I have been experiencing problems over the last week or so with PC crashes when Games are played on the PC. Games run for a short time upto around 15mins then the system totally crashes and turns off. Directly after this, problems are encountered when trying to reboot the system. Sometimes getting a Blue error screen and sometimes not. These games have been played ever since the PC was originally purchased with no problems up until now.

After this, I have reformatted both my hard drives and loaded windows on the 2nd partition, updated Windows as well as Nvidia Drivers.

The problem still occurs. I have also run Regcure and fixed the errors but this has done nothing.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this or could it simply be a Graphics card or other hardware fault.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andrew

big bloke66 18:13 05 May 2008

Would it be over heating? just a thought.

awd22 18:43 05 May 2008

Hi Big Bloke

I also thought it could be overheating, but both the games I play, IL2 1946 and Silent hunter 4 have worked with no problem before (around 8 months). Games have run on near full settings with no trouble until now. PC was built specifically with Gaming in mind. Both Graphic card and CPU are clocked at stock levels and Fans are all working within required parameters

Andrew

skidzy 19:04 05 May 2008

" I have been experiencing problems over the last week or so with PC crashes when Games are played on the PC."

Sounds like the psu or maybe the graphics card to me.

Can you try another psu and graphics card,this maybe a matter of elimination.

big bloke66 19:17 05 May 2008

skidzy could well be right, as bsod that you intermitantly experiance does tend to point at a hardware problem.

big bloke66 19:23 05 May 2008

.....or a software prob? ( graphic card driver perhaps)

awd22 19:36 05 May 2008

Thanks for your comments guys.

I have downloaded and installed teh latest Driver for Nvidia's Geforce 8800 GTS and still get the same results. Downloaded direct from their site.

I will look into the PSU to see if this is the problem

Thanks

Andrew

skidzy 19:47 05 May 2008

As this only happens when playing games,i believe its an overheating problem-simply because you say after 15 minutes the system crashes.

Almost certainly hardware issue somewhere.

Check the psu fan is working ok as well as the heatsink fan and any case fans that exist,i know you said you checked....but do check again.

One thing you could check is the bios cut off temps,they maybe a little low.

If all these are ok,i would say its the psu,a simple replacement of a known working one of 500watt upwards should tell you if this is the culprit.

awd22 20:46 05 May 2008

Hi Skidzy

I have checked the fans again and one I think may have a problem.

Started the PC and went to setup to check.

CPU Temp started at 67 Cel and rose to 90 Cel in a matter of 5 mins or so. CPU Fan speed rose from around 2335rpm to 2500. Checked this twice and values were very similar. Both times pc crashed at 90 cel.

Do you know what the average CPU temp should be?

Cheers

Andrew

big bloke66 21:24 05 May 2008

90 degrees cel is way to high.

my comp runs when gamming between 50/65 cel
hth.

I am Spartacus 21:50 05 May 2008

If it's the standard cooler then one or more of the retaining clips may not be fitted correctly. I have a Q6600 and it's fitted with a Thermalright Ultra Extreme click here and a Noctua fan running at about 70% of rated speed click here

The Thermalright mounts screw down onto a base plate that requires motherboard removal. It's overclocked to 3.3GHz and hasn't exceeded 55C at full load yet but is likely to increase a bit now the weather's getting warmer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?