Pc Crashed

skidzy 20:14 29 Jun 2006

My apologies if this becomes a little bit long winded.

I recently started a thread regarding a new PSU click here
as i thought this had failed me.Ive bought the new psu and still no power getting into the system...is it possible that i am connecting the leads incorrectly ?

Does anybody have any idea why i do not seem to get any power through.

The computer is around 5 years old and would like to keep it if possible as its been so reliable.
The kids love it,but if this is ready for the bin... so be it.

The system crashed immediately after a making a few clicking noises...sounding like the fan had jammed.

Like ive said,im trying with the new psu to no avail....maybe its something else ?

Mobo: Trigem imperial 1.03
Celeron D 1.7ghz
xp home sp2

All advice and ideas are welcome and will be gladly appreciated.

Thankyou Skidzy

SLAYER 20:31 29 Jun 2006

5 years, long time.Why not remove hdd,slave it,other pc,copy.much better advice here.

VoG II 20:36 29 Jun 2006

I hate to say this but 'clicking noises' to me indicates hard drive failure. However I'm not sure why this would affect the power getting through.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:40 29 Jun 2006

If known good PSU, then possible switch / motherboard / cpu fault

The PSU is switched on by a signal from the motherboard when you press the power on button.
Disconnect switch cables on motherboard and
quickly short across the pins, will prove if button u s.

PSU TEST
click here
click here

skidzy 20:56 29 Jun 2006

Thanks everyone for replying.

Ok,ive connected the new psu..its this one click here

It seems power may be going through,but the start button does nothing,the light beside the start button does not light either.

If i do have a hard drive failure,would this result in the psu and fan not working ?

Sorry if i sound a little dumb,just im a real novice regarding the hardware side and mobo related issues..

Friut bat,thanks for the links,but im not to confident about shorting out the pins.

woodchip 21:18 29 Jun 2006

MOBO gone

woodchip 21:19 29 Jun 2006

Or if the CPU FAN Stopped working it is more likely the CPU fried

woodchip 21:20 29 Jun 2006

Try this to see if you get anything. remove all cables from Drives then try startup

skidzy 21:27 29 Jun 2006

Hi woodchip,if the motherboard has blown etc,...can you point me in the right direction why this would happen...is it just general wear and tear etc.

The pc has served me well and must not grumble really,but must admit im little down about it.

Maybe i will just bin it,i have the new lappy to play with.

First computer to let me down,if you could really call it let down.
But i guess ...everything has a shelf life.

Ok,il tick resolved and look into buying a new desktop.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

skidzy 21:31 29 Jun 2006

Nothing woodchip...dead as a dodo

skidzy 23:14 29 Jun 2006

One quick question before i bin this pc.

If the cpu is fried etc,would this stop the power going through the mobo ?

Sorry if this question sounds daft,but im grasping at straws trying to find out whats packed up.

I believe the psu is ok,as ive plugged in the Auxillary 12v power supply connector then disconnected live and get a spark.I am presuming that tells me power is going through the machine,but still no fans or lights.Could this be the cpu fried ?

Also if the harddrive has died,would this stop the power going through the mobo ?

Any ideas please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?