pc crash with new network card

drdeath 15:04 16 Apr 2006

Hello, ive just purchased a network wirless pc card belkin 2.4hz 125 high speed mode,

I have a bt 2091 router. I have found that every few hours of being online my laptop will freeze and i have to reboot laptop, am i too far from router to keep a consistent line so to speak?

any help appreciated

Forum Editor 10:47 17 Apr 2006

you wouldn't get a signal,so provided you can access the internet OK for a few hours (as you say you can) you can rule that possibility out.

You say that after a few hours "my laptop will freeze" - what exactly do you mean by that, do you mean that Internet Explorer locks up, or that the whole machine becomes unuseable?

remind 12:52 17 Apr 2006

Already posted on this subject
click here

Gily 14:51 17 Apr 2006

The range of a home Wi-Fi LAN depends on the wireless access point (WAP) or wireless router being used. Factors that determine a particular WAP or wireless router's range are:
the specific 802.11 protocol employed
the overall strength of the device transmitter
the nature of obstructions and interference in the surrounding area
A general rule of thumb in home networking says that 802.11b and 802.11g WAPs and routers support a range of up to 150 feet (46 m) indoors and 300 feet (92 m) outdoors.
Another rule of thumb holds that the effective range of 802.11a is approximately one-third that of 802.11b/g.

Both of these rough estimates fall on the high end of the range seen in practice. Obstructions in home such as brick walls and metal frames or siding greatly can reduce the range of a Wi-Fi LAN by 25% or more. Because 802.11a employs a higher signalling frequency than 802.11b/g, 802.11a is most susceptible to obstructions. Interference from microwave ovens and other equipment also affects range. 802.11b and 802.11g are both susceptible to these.

Of course, it's possible to extend a Wi-Fi LAN to much longer distances by chaining together multiple wireless access points or routers.

Regards,
Ganesh.L

Gily 15:03 17 Apr 2006

I suggest you 2 be within the range of 30 feet frm ur router and ur laptop, thn only u will be getting a signal excellent and will be able to access the internet without any issues. If u have any cordless phone or wireless phone or any microwave oven near the router tat could be an issue, because that might distrub the signal of the router and do a pwercycle of the router which will reset your router to default factoy settings and if that does not help; shutdown your pc poweroff all the switch connected to the router, and the PC, take out all the cables tat are connected to the router and and them put the cables back 1'st the router and then if you hv the modem connected power it on and check.

Then if the system still freezes it should be an issue with the system. I also suggest you to check the same if you have any other system in your house...

Hope this will work and wish u all success...

Gily...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?