PC Cooling

Thatslife 17:04 18 Nov 2005

Just fitted an 'extractor' fan on the back of my PC tower - It's happy whirling away blowing hot air out and I thought - job done.

But... SISandra is warning me my processor fan is running too slow (~1950rpm) and to power down immediately.

Is this really a problem for me or has the extra fan cooled things down sufficiently that the fan above the heat sink doesn't have to work as hard??

Help would be much appreciated as I don't want to fry my AMD64!

Thanks.

Skyver 17:13 18 Nov 2005

Does Sandra also tell you the current CPU temperature? You can check out the specs and recommendations for your CPU if you click here

Thatslife 18:11 18 Nov 2005

It says it's 36C/98.6F. The specs say max temp 70c

Is there anything ekse I can use to monitor my temps? Sandra is not what I would call user friendly for this task.

VoG II 18:12 18 Nov 2005
  Skyver 18:14 18 Nov 2005

I would suggest Motherboard monitor but it's development stopped last year - why not check your motherboard manufacturer's site for a monitoring app?

ade.h 18:28 18 Nov 2005

1950rpm, described as too slow?! Mine runs at 1350-1450rpm! That's why it's so quiet. I wouldn't worry about the speed if I were you; it's the CPU temp that you have to think about and 36c is very cool. I have to use an enormous radial Zalman to get my P4 to run as cool as that.

As for alternatives for temp monitoring, your motherboard should have its own sensors which will listed under PC Health Status in BIOS. Run you PC as normal for a while, the re-boot to check the temp readings. AFAIK they should be quite accurate.

Thatslife 19:17 18 Nov 2005

Thank ade.h - Just how do I find the BIOS?

Thanks for the tip VoG but my motherboard isn't supported by this prog.

ade.h 23:24 18 Nov 2005

How do you find BIOS?

Easy. Press Del immediately after the system performs its POST (Power On Self Test). This will be confirmed by a beep and the appearance (if your monitor is a CRT, it will need to have warmed up by now for you to see anything) of the first BIOS screen. If you see the page with DMA info and the IRQ list, you're too late.

ade.h 23:26 18 Nov 2005

Should that with some less common BIOS types, a key other than Del will be used. Which one, I can't be sure, but the instruction "press ... to enter setup" should be visible at the bottom of that first screen.

ade.h 23:27 18 Nov 2005

Sorry; that should read "Should add that..."

Terrible typing tonight!

VoG II 23:32 18 Nov 2005

Access BIOS click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?