PC constantly crashes, please help!

andrimandos 17:47 15 Feb 2015

My pc I've had for the past 3 years and overall be good. It was perfectly fine at first but 3 months in, I started experiencing random crashes on a regular basis. The crashes would occur randomly and could happen up to 3-5 times a day if unlucky, but if lucky, it doesnt happen at all. However, each day it would vary.

The way the crash occurs would first be my internet cuts out, but i can still use things offline that are already open, such as word. I can write and save files but i can no longer open new applications. Then after a short while my task bar would crash, here any offline opened word document will still work, but if it's something like a game, my screen would completely be frozen. Then it gets to the stage where the whole screen freezes and there's no response.

On rare occasions, it may recover after 10 mins or so. But a lot of the time, i leave it for 30 mins to an hour and nothing occurs, so these days I automatically reboot the pc via the power button.

I've sort of carried on like this for the past two years or so but the crashes always occur at the most inconvenient times, and I've looked online and I can not find any solutions similar for this issue. If anyone could help, I'd be extremely grateful.

wee eddie 17:55 15 Feb 2015

Where is your PC?

On the floor. On a desk. In a cupboard or is it a Laptop?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:15 15 Feb 2015

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans - power off open the cas blow out the dust using a hairdryer on cool. clean the heatsink with a small brush and don't forget to lft off the cpu fan from the heatsink as a layer of fluff will gather there.

2. PSU voltages - check with speedfan

3. Faulty memory stick - try memtest

4. Virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

5. Driver conflicts especially graphics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

6. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone