PC connection to MP3 player

BingoBoy 14:37 16 Jan 2008

My Dell Dimension PC has stopped recognising my MP3 player which is an Archos GMINI XS 202. It is the same PC I have used to load all the music on my player and I have not added anything to the PC apart from the automatic MS updates. I have tried all 4 USB ports but to no avail. I have successfully attached the player to my work PC using the same USB connector so no problems with the GMINI. Does anybody have any ideas as to what might have happened to my PC and how I can fix it? The PC runs XP home edition.

DazM 14:53 16 Jan 2008

try tweakui and untick a drive letter,maybe xp not releasing drive letter for it
click here

Mick54 18:08 16 Jan 2008

Hiya I had a similar problem with my sons psp. The motherboard can build up residual power and cause this problem. You must switch off your pc power supply completely. Remove the plug if necessary. Wait for at least half an hour then re-start.

realist 20:04 16 Jan 2008

Have you tried a system restore?

BingoBoy 22:40 16 Jan 2008

Attempted the Tweak approach and the switch the power off and unplug for 30 mins but didn't seem to work when I tried to re-connect. However I had a look around in the Control Panel and looked in Add Hardware. I found the external sorage device listed after I ticked Yes to already connected hardware. I just followed some instructions and it came up with a message about the USB connection being disabled??? I enabled it and this solved the problem. Thanks for your advice.

On another note when I rip music from CDs quite often the quality is poor and jumpy when playing back on my PC and subsequently on my MP3 player. I have changed the bit rate to the best quality but this doesn't seem to make any difference. I use WMA on my XP home edition PC - any ideas what the problem might be and solutions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone