PC Cleanup-Repair Softwares

Vicmohi 12:57 17 Nov 2006

At a friend's suggestion I ran PC Mighty Max but, because it threw up so many registry problems which other similar programmes don't find, I stopped it from performing a clean-up as I am concerned that it might remove/repair wrongly and screw up my system. Results of consecutive scans were:
Registry Mechanic - 2 invalid registry paths (repaired these)
Registry Booster - 32 invalid registry paths (did not carry out repairs)
PC Mighty Max - 101 invalid registry paths plus 18 invalid shortcuts (did not carry out repairs).
Will welcome advice re the reliability and safety of these programmes from anyone who has used or tested them.

Thanks,
Vicmohi

anskyber 13:04 17 Nov 2006

Look at the recommendations here. click here

pcbobby 15:23 17 Nov 2006

I have used Regseeker for few years without problems. It always auto backup before deletion.

click here

rawprawn 15:38 17 Nov 2006

click here I can really recomend Windows Advanced Care Just download it and give it a try it's free.

Vicmohi 10:07 21 Nov 2006

Many thanks to all who have responded with advice. However, it seems I failed to make my question clear and it has largely been misunderstood in consequence. I am grateful for the recommendations given but what I was hoping was that there were people who had first hand experience of PC Mighty Max and of Registry Booster who could advise on the safety and performance of these two particular softwares from their own expereince.
Registry Mechanic, which I have used for sometime, has been highly recommended by or on various web sites such as PC Advisor and CNet etc but while it is picking up only a few invalids (2 on last tests mentioned) these other two softwares are picking up a great number more. This seems to suggest that either Registry Mechanic is not really effective or that these other two softwares are incorrectly picking up entries as invalid and it will be dangerous to proceed with repairs using them. Hence I am doubtful of using them to do any registry repairs unless others with more related experience can strongly recommend them as safe and effective.
Vicmohi

cowgirl66 10:16 21 Nov 2006

I am always suspicious of any reg cleaning software which throws up loads of errors at you. The more you alter, the more you are likely to make a wrong move in my opinion.

If you really don't know much about the registry, and it is a very temperamental part of the system, then don't go there. I won't use a registry cleaner anymore. I'd rather have a working computer with a bit of clog and grit than a registry with vital files corrupted.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but maybe you'll consider it?

Belatucadrus 11:18 21 Nov 2006

Be wary about RegSeeker, I've used 1.45 for years without any problem, but the new 1.52 savaged my Outlook Express installation and the backup restore facility wouldn't work, fortunately System Restore did.

helpingf 12:41 21 Nov 2006

epson told me to unistall service pack 2 ? i ask why i dont get good colours print out seems darker colours, i dont know if i should unistall what dus anyone think?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?