PC CILLIN is slowing down my PC

craig1967 16:08 02 Apr 2003

My os is XP home edition and i am running PC cillin as my virus protection,but it seems to slow my computer down to very slow when i engage the real time scan. i have a 1.7 gig processor which is quick enough when pc cillin is off i also have 256meg ram can anyone tell me how i can keep the virus protection and the speed of my computer

MAJ 16:15 02 Apr 2003

You could dump PC-Cillin and install AVG instead, craig1967. click here

galatic door 16:16 02 Apr 2003

why don't you go and get AVG anti virus software from click here
it is better than pc cillian
i used to have it and it slowed my pc down.
it is free as well and i think a lot of the other helpers in here swear by it as well

galatic door 16:17 02 Apr 2003

Sorry about that MAJ
u beat me to it

Bebee 16:19 02 Apr 2003

I haven't got an answer, but I am running PC-cillin as virus protection and firewall. It does slow up the startup process, but once up and running I don't notice a real problem with speed. I'm running Windows ME on a laptop with a 600mhz processor. I just added 128MB ram to a the 64 it had and this increased speed. I'm not sure what your problem is or whether there are issues with XP. I just wondered if there were other issues involved. I might disable mine for a while and see what happens.

There are other free antivirus progs you could try and see what difference it makes (e.g. AVG click here )

Bebee 16:20 02 Apr 2003

You all beat me to it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?