pc card not recognised

hartt 14:21 02 Nov 2005

I have an old Advent 5470 PII that I am upgrading where poss for my young son to use. I have PC card sockets and want to add a wireless adapter so he can print to my printer. (I have already set up wireless internet/printing). Control panel says sockets working but card is not recognised. Do I need to upgrade drivers for sockets?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:05 02 Nov 2005

Try in a different PCI (white) socket

hartt 16:26 02 Nov 2005

sorry, i should have been a little clearer - it is a laptop and pc cards are pcmcia. System says sockets working but does not recognise pcmcia card when inserted

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:29 02 Nov 2005

Have you load the drivers for the wireless card?

woodchip 20:51 02 Nov 2005

You have to load the CD first, it will tell you when to put the card in. If you put it in first then Go to Device Manager and uninstall it. do it as above

pipedream 20:58 02 Nov 2005

Could it be that your laptop has a 16-bit PCMCIA slot and the new card is 32-bit Cardbus, which will still fit but won't be compatible? - see click here (3rd question down)

hartt 22:23 02 Nov 2005

Have loaded software first then restarted and inserted card. Computer indicates 32-bit pcmcia under performance tab. Driver is Texas Instruments PCI-1225 CardBus controller. Any clues as to why it doesn't detect card (have tried others and they aren't detected either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017