PC can't detect slave drive.

hhh123kid 22:08 02 Oct 2007

Hi, I recently formatted my pc and reinstalled windows. I've managed to fully update my drivers. I have 2 hard drives in the computer, one 55gig one which I installed windows one and another 80gig one which I had set as a slave before the format and which was working perfectly. However even since the format, the slave just hasn't come up in my computer for some reason. I tried reconnecting it but it hasnt worked. Seems pretty strange since when I was asked which hd I wanted to install windows onto, it came up as an option.

Anyone know whats wrong?

Thx in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:31 02 Oct 2007

Have you installed SP2?

Ashrich 22:33 02 Oct 2007

Does it show itself in the bios and is it formatted ?

Ashley

hhh123kid 22:41 02 Oct 2007

Yeah I have sp2 installed. Sorry but how do I check the bios? I used DBAN to format both drives before I reinstalled windows, but I think it only formatted the 55gig drive when I installed windows on it.

DieSse 23:08 02 Oct 2007

I don't think DBAN formats your drives - it says it "wipes them clean" - which normally means to their factory unformatted state. This is why your installation formatted the C drive when you ran it.

So - you need to format the drive - go to the Control Panel - Computer management - Disk management.

You should see your drive there, in an unsetup state. You can partition and format it from there.

DieSse 23:12 02 Oct 2007

Sorry that shud be Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer management - Disk management.

hhh123kid 23:18 02 Oct 2007

Thanks a lot, got it sorted. Great help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?