PC Burning & Smoking.

X™ 20:21 27 Nov 2006

Hi, my bro's PC got a new case. I unplugged everything and we put it all in the new case. We pushed the button. It smelled and kept beeping three times. I kept fiddling with the RAM, and it stopped. We booted up and my brother wasw singing "hallulujah£, then I opened the CD drive, my bro was like "is that the midtown maddness CD?" and opened it again. Smoke was round the back and comming from the CD drive. I switched it off, and we checked everything. The only thing that smells is the CPU fan, which I've checked and is working, although, the fan sucks in, so that could be the prob. The only thing thats changed is: The case, and the PSU, which was second hand after a friends PC blew and hasn't beeen tested. But the PSU doesn't smell.

Totally-braindead 20:37 27 Nov 2006

It could be your friends PC blew because of some fault with the power supply and by using it you have damaged yours as well. Only suggestion I have is try your old power supply which I presume you still have and see if anything else is damaged.

X™ 20:43 27 Nov 2006

Yeah, ther only thing is, it doesn't fit in the case. I think you must be right in the fact it's the PSU, I'll try the old one.....

Totally-braindead 20:48 27 Nov 2006

Just connect the old power supply but leave it sitting outside the case. Make sure its not able to bang about and hit anything inside the PC though.

X™ 16:55 04 Dec 2006

I found out what it was. The USB port connections melted and flamed up. I don't know why, but they were... "Crispy".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone