pc building

lauren2006 16:55 01 Nov 2006

built a pc today for the first time and on its first boot up wont do anything turns on but i dnt get anything on the screen please help

Totally-braindead 17:05 01 Nov 2006

Did you connect the internal speaker as this will give you what are called beep codes telling you what is wrong click here
Usually the most common fault is the graphics card not being in the slot properly, try removing it and reseating it as it requires a bit of a shove to make sure it gets good contact.

sean-278262 17:18 01 Nov 2006

lauren have you checked the screen cable too. The most obvious one but even I in the past forget to plug things in. If I were u I would remove all the non required gear such as extra dvd drives and use the basics till it is up and running.

lauren2006 17:22 01 Nov 2006

we do get a bleep but its a faint bleep. should the hardrive be set as master

sean-278262 17:31 01 Nov 2006

master - my pc refuses to boot if the main drive isnt set to master some require you do. However I doubt that this the the route of the problem as without a drive it would just say on screen that none is attached.

Totally-braindead 17:31 01 Nov 2006

Yes it should.

sean-278262 17:38 01 Nov 2006

Lauren it may help if you list out what you have and a link to the one you purchased. May shed some clues as to why thinhgs are not working.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:44 01 Nov 2006

turns on but i dnt get anything on the screen please help

Monitor plugged in?
Monitor switched on?
Monitor connected to PC?
Graphics card fully inserted?
(can be very tight to insert so that all of the contacts are fully in the slot)

ed-0 17:51 01 Nov 2006

Make and model of the motherboard?

has the motherboard two ATX power connectors? Have you plugged both in.

Have you got the front panel header connector on correctly?

Both you will find in the motherboard manual.

Legolas 18:11 01 Nov 2006

I have built quite a few PC,s and every time it fails to boot for the first time it has been down to one of two problems, either the Motherboard has been faulty or the memory has been faulty or not compatable, I have found that cheap memory can cause boot-up failures. If the obvious remedies already mentioned do not work give some thought to the MB and memory.

lauren2006 18:32 01 Nov 2006

we got it running now got to putting xp onit then it jus powered dwn for sum reason n keeps doin that now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?