PC Build problem - No image on screen

Mab003 13:30 18 Aug 2006

I’m currently building a PC for an ex-colleague. Last night, I completed the build, powered up for the first time and everything looked to be working; all the fans are whirring, the power indicator was lit on the front of the case, HDD sounds to be spinning/working, however I have no visual on the monitor.

Here are the components of the PC.

Pentium 4 506 2.66Ghz Socket 775 533Mhz 1Mb Cache Emt 64 Retail - click here

RC410L/800-M MATX VGA 2xDDR2 LAN Motherboard - click here

Corsair 1GB DDR2 533 Mhz 128mx64 Non-ecc 240 Dimm Unbuffered Cl4 - click here

Seagate 80GB Barracuda 7200.9 Sata II 7200rpm 8MB Cache - OEM - click here

LG GSA-H10ABAL 16xDVDRW/RAM Internal Black – OEM - click here

Case - click here

Fans - click here

There are no BIOS or POST beeps emitted from the PC when I have it switched on. I have taken out the memory (which resulted in a long beep signifying that there is no memory, so there is no problem with the memory) and have put it into both slots. I have placed a graphics card into the PCI-E slot to see if I can get a picture – still no success. However, when I switch the PC on without the VGA plug of the monitor in the VGA motherboard socket (meaning that an inbuilt message bounces around on the monitor) and then stick the VGA plug in, the screen goes black for a couple of seconds and then resumes the default message. To my mind this means that there is a signal going through the cable. Also, there is an issue with the HDD according to a customer review on the ebuyer site.

If you try to install this drive in a motherboard or as part of a system where the SATA controller doesn't recognise SATA II (300Gb/s) drives then you need to read this article:
click here

Surely this potential problem won’t result in a blank screen?

brundle 14:14 18 Aug 2006

having just checked by plugging a spare vga card into a monitor, the `no signal` sign appears when the lead is removed, so no actual signal is present as such, just a matter of checking for ground signals or something.
do you get post beeps if you remove the video card and try?
have you got an old pci vga card to try instead?
i take it the board has built in vga?

personally i wouldnt be plugging/unplugging vga with the machine on - did you switch off inbetween?

Mab003 14:30 18 Aug 2006

With or without the PCI-E Graphics card, i still get the same. I haven't an old PCI card to use instead and the board does have in-build VGA. Yes, I did switch off in between plugging in the VGA plug at the beginning, but then i plugged it in with the PC on, which made the standard 'Monitor Test' message in-built to the monitor dissappear for a few seconds before returning.

Since last time, i have disconnected everything with the exception of the RAM, CPU and power - i still get the same response. When i remove the RAM, i get a very long continuous beep (signifying that there is no RAM).

There is another thing that i noticed. When switch the power on from the PSU, the PC starts up automatically (ie, fans and drives work) without me pressing the 'ON' button at the front of the PC. Also, when i pressed the forward 'ON' button, nothing happens to the PC. I then placed a jumper over the top of the two pins for the powerswitch pins on the motherboard to make a complete circuit. The PC switched on like before, but then switched off automatically after a few seconds.

brundle 14:38 18 Aug 2006

Double check your pinouts and cables - if the machine is set to go off with the power switch held down for four seconds that would explain the latter problem.
Polarity usually doesnt matter but turn the plug(s) round just to be sure.
May sound a daft question, but do the keyboard lights flash on boot up, all three at once - does the caps lock key work as it should?

DieSse 14:45 18 Aug 2006

*then placed a jumper over the top of the two pins for the powerswitch pins on the motherboard to make a complete circuit.*

No - don't do that - the power-on switch is a momentary contact type. The contacts only need to be shorted together momentarily. So jumper will likely make it think it's being switched on, then off.

Have you checked the monitor elsewhere, just in case it's a monitor/cable problem.

Try resetting the CMOS using the jumper - then using only the motherboard VGA connector.

Check all your front panel connections very carefully. Try with only the power switch cable connected.

DieSse 14:47 18 Aug 2006

Try with the motherboard out of the case (rest it on folded newspaper is OK) - just in case you've got a short somewhere.

woodchip 14:50 18 Aug 2006

Remove all Drive cables and all PCI card just leave Graphics card only have one stick of memory. Now try starting computer press del as it starts to see if it goes to BIOS

brundle 14:52 18 Aug 2006

click here
very detailed pdf of AMIBIOS boot process.
i realise the document recommends a `post` card but at least you can see what order the checks are done in - vga doesnt appear till the latter half

Mab003 14:53 18 Aug 2006

Yes, the keyboard lights do light up. I have tried to check it against this click here but am having limited success :P

I have taken the battery out of hte motherboard and have reset the CMOS. I am pretty sure that the monitor cabel is working (it has worked just before), but i will get another and check.

ICF 15:06 18 Aug 2006

Can you not try the monitor cable combination on another PC?

Mab003 15:08 18 Aug 2006

I am pretty sure that it is not the cable or the monitor that is the problem since i am still not getting a POST beep nor a BIOS beep to signify that everything is correct.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone