PC build advice please...

beginner02 13:20 14 Feb 2005

I'm planning to build a PC using the following. Can anyone tell me if these components are compatable/ pitfalls to watch? This is my first build. Thanks!
Elite ECS 755-A2 SIS 755 Motherboard
AMD A64 2800+Retail Kit Skt 754 (Including Heat Sink+Fan)processor
ATI Peak Radeon 9550 128MB
80 GB Maxtor SATA Hard drive
512MB 184Pin DIMM PC3200 CL2.5 NP RAM
TSUNAMI CAPRICORN ATX PC CASE 350w Pwr Supply
Microsoft Windows XP Home
Digimate 17 inch TFT Monitor

Belatucadrus 14:34 14 Feb 2005

click here always a good idea to read the MOBO manual first.

Totally-braindead 14:52 14 Feb 2005

My advice would be check the motherboard website to double check it supports the processor you want to buy, choosing the retail version is a good choice you get a 3 year guarantee on it proving you follow the instructions, which also come with it full of nice pictures and easy to follow, don't buy a cheap graphics card buy a branded one they tend to be better quality and cause less problems, in my experience at least and buy memory from the like of Crucial click here do not buy generic memory. Building your own PC can be great fun but terribly frustrating when things go wrong as you have the problem that you don't know which bit is causing the problem. A great help apart from this Forum is having a second working PC available, if something goes wrong you can hopefully try most of the components in the working PC and by a process of elimination work out whats wrong. Don't get wound up if things do go wrong its almost always something simple and the Forums here to help. Lastly follow the instructions exactly especially the one about installing the CPU and make sure the power cable is not plugged in until you're sure its ready to start, mate accidently touched his on switch when he was replacing his CPU fan and heatsink, switched off immediatly but too late, processor blew in less than a second, he had to buy a new one. One last thing I've just thought about in case you don't know, make sure the PC speaker in the case is connected correctly, if the computer doesn't start properly then you'll get beeps from the speaker telling you whats wrong, very useful. click here

beginner02 14:55 14 Feb 2005

Thanks for that. :-)
I have read through the manual, infact I've tried to read everything going on all the components. Just need the reassurance of an experienced builder that my spec looks OK, primarily in the area of compatability. Is it just a case of plugging it all together? (Obviously with antistatic precautions!) I've built various electronic projects but not PCs. Thanks again!

beginner02 14:59 14 Feb 2005

Thanks Totally-braindead!Bios link very useful.
Just need the courage to buy the bits now!

Totally-braindead 15:04 14 Feb 2005

Another thought, the cheapest way to buy Windows is to buy the OEM version, the only rule with this is you have to buy it with hardware which you're away to do anyway. Appologies if you knew this anyway.

beginner02 15:16 14 Feb 2005

Thanks again. I was planning to do that. But hey, I need all the advice I can get!

PsiFox 16:48 14 Feb 2005

I personally don't like ECS boards but that's just me.
what do you want to do with the pc.

If it involves gaming consider a better gfx card.
PsiFox

beginner02 17:12 14 Feb 2005

I've got a 12 and 11 yearold who will be using it for simulator games and rollercoaster tycoon, empire earth etc. Not too demanding I don't think. I'm on a very tight budget!

Gongoozler 17:15 14 Feb 2005

If you're on a very tight budget, I would suggest using a 32 bit processor. You'll save a lot of money and I doubt that you'll notice much difference in performance.

beginner02 17:32 14 Feb 2005

Thanks for that Gongoozler. Can you suggest a processor & motherboard?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?