PC brand name - does it matter?

aly-lfc 22:00 15 Jan 2006

I'm looking to buy a new PC and have seen one on Comet's site called Gateway (product number 306207). I have never heard of this brand and was just wondering if buying a well known brand name is important when buying a new PC?

stalion 22:04 15 Jan 2006

this is the Gateway site they have been around for a long time.Yes it is important to get a well known make as the support for obscure brands would be non existent.Wait for recommendations from other members before buying

stalion 22:08 15 Jan 2006
  rmcqua 22:17 15 Jan 2006

There are so many out there that it can be very confusing to anyone just getting started!
Two important question:
What will be the main uses for the PC?
What budget do you have to work to?
Given this info, some of the regulars on this forum should be able to help you narrow down your choice a bit.

aly-lfc 22:27 15 Jan 2006

The main uses for the PC are using the internet, downloading music, cd/dvd rewriter and for digital photo's. Budget up to £1000. Would prefer a 19" monitor for better viewing.

007al 23:40 15 Jan 2006

The 3700 is ideal click here
For 19" monitors click here

Mavericke 08:06 16 Jan 2006

With £1000,I think you do have many choices. Gateway is a company who is trying to make a come back to the UK market after an absent of 4 years. The company over in UK was not really doing a good business and so they brought their business back to the USA.
Recently they tried to make a come back to the UK market and I do find their products especially their laptops a good bargain.

With £1000, you can actually build a solid gaming machine. Wished I had so much money. :) Good for you then.

rmcqua 11:33 16 Jan 2006

aly-lfc
With your budget and expected uses I would go for one of these, together with a Samsung 931BF 19" TFT monitor.
You won't be disappointed!
click here

johndrew 11:54 16 Jan 2006

Amiga and eventually sold it on. A shame really as the quality of their PCs was quite good. Whether it is the same now......

jack 14:39 16 Jan 2006

It matters in this respect.
More and main stream names - Dell/HP/Emachine/Packard Bell are producing what might be called integrated machines- That is major components,like motherboards and graphics, memory are made to a unique design.
This means that whilst the machine will perform the basic tasks aked of it.if at later stage you feel more memory/better graphics/what ever would be nice - you will not be able to upgrade that machine very easily if at all.
A bit like a washing machine really - built to do a job and thats it.
So when looking into what it is you want to do - think about 2 years ahead -what will you want be doing then?
Mesh/Evesham/Novatech the various Watford brands etc., tend to build from common compents and will take a lot of changing around.

tony58 21:15 18 Jan 2006

good solid advise jack

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?