PC boots up in Safe Mode only... help please..than

bof:) 10:29 15 Sep 2008

Hi all, had a phone call from Brother-in-law' last night whilst he was at work. One of his colleagues, using Windows XP has the following problem:

The Pc was last used by his eight year old granddaughter.

Now every time he boots the PC up, it starts in Safe Mode. He has gone to 'Last Good Configuration' but when he clicks on it he is not given any dates to choose from.

He says he has looked on Microsoft website but did not know exactly what he was looking for.

I know the information is a bit sparse but at the moment it is all I have to go on.

Many thanks for your help,

Mike

Technotiger 10:35 15 Sep 2008

Try a System Restore in Safe mode, back to before little fingers became involved!!

Technotiger 10:36 15 Sep 2008

PS - Last Good Configuration does not give dates, it just tries the Last Good Configuration that worked.

bof:) 10:55 15 Sep 2008

Thanks for your fast response Technotiger. I'll see if he was using System Restore and had no dates to Restore back to.

If it was System Restore and there were no dates to restore back to, what would you suggest I tell him then? Or would you rather wait to get more information?

Mike

Technotiger 10:59 15 Sep 2008

He would not have seen 'Last Good Configuration' in System Restore!

Technotiger 11:00 15 Sep 2008

I am going out now - will look in again later.

birdface 11:22 15 Sep 2008

maybe try running your security programs in safe mode just in case it has picked up a nastie.a quick look here might help.click here or Googled.click here= it will give you something to look at.

bof:) 13:04 15 Sep 2008

Thanks buteman for those links, I just have to wait for brother in law to ring me. I'll report back with an update just as soon as I know anything more.

Thank you both for your help.

Mike

Poitier 13:35 15 Sep 2008

Hi,
Have you tried Start/run type in msconfig then click on the boot inni tab to see if it has been changed to safe mode start up.

woodchip 13:47 15 Sep 2008

Have a look in MSCONFIG for startup it may be running in troubleshooting mode

Start\Run type MSCONFIG press enter

bof:) 14:28 15 Sep 2008

Hi Poitier,thanks for that, I thought I'd read somewhere that ticking the boot.ini tab caused further problems with starting Safe Mode and that it should be only used as a final resort, is this so?

Hi woodchip, thank you for that, I've added it to the list of suggestions you have all provided.

I just have to wait for my brother in law to ring back so I can pass them on.

many thanks everyone,

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017