PC Boots Up Real Slow After Re-format

WGW 21:14 11 Sep 2007

I recently had to re-format my PC's hard drive unexpectedly. I never had the chance to backup much of my work and now I'm frantically trying to get it back to the way it was...well as near as.

Anyway, I'm finding that when I boot up the PC it hangs, just after the BIOS screen, for a couple of minutes, the screen is just black. Then I get a white scroll bar along the foot of the screen like it's going through a repair process and the whole thing takes between 5 and 10 mins to fully boot up.

I hadn't done that much in the way of installing software and it seemed to happen around the same time as I installed Service Pack 2 and set Windows for auto updates but I some how doubt it's SP2 and can't think what else would be causing this.

Sorry if this is too vague but it's really puzzling me and annoying me at the same time. If this sounds familiar to anyone and they know a fix, I'd really appreciate their advice. Thanks.

STREETWORK 21:34 11 Sep 2007

2 things to do here after reformatting.

1. Turn off power saving and screen savers ,then run defrag.

2. Turn off windows update, reboot, then turn it back on aain, go to windows update and reinstall the critical updates and any drivers...

Post back

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:12 11 Sep 2007

a) Hard drives / IDE Channels:

i) Check the transfer rate, you need to have the transfer mode set to DMA not PIO.
Right click My Computer - Properties - Hardware - Device Manager - Expand (click the + ) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers right click Primary Channel - Advanced Settings Tab -
If transfer Mode is PIO then follow the instructions at click here to change.

ii) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

WGW 00:19 12 Sep 2007

Thanks folks for your prompt and very helpful responses.

Streetwork - I followed your instructions and hey presto! My PC is now booting up as I'd want it to. I take it it's ok to re-instate everything as was.

Fruit Bat - I checked the IDE channels as well and they were ok. The defrag seemed to do the trick.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone