PC boots but doesn't give oufput to screen

Sir Radfordin 10:21 24 Nov 2004

Have been asked to look at a PC for a friend. When you turn it on the computer appears to boot up but you don't get any output to the monitor. Have swapped the AGP card for a PCI card and it is still doing the same thing. If once the PC is on you 'wiggle' the graphics card you can tempt it to work but as soon as you turn the PC off and back on again it fails.

Bit stummped as to what it could be, though am heading towards a failed mobo. Any ideas?

Steven W 10:23 24 Nov 2004

Duff cable / connector?

Tried another monitor?

Sir Radfordin 20:29 24 Nov 2004

'friad so tried several monitors. Plugging/unplugging the monitor makes no difference have to physically wiggle the card with the case open.

Dorsai 20:37 24 Nov 2004

Sounds like a dry joint on the mobo.

Like you Mr. Sir. Radfordin, I suspect a duff Mobo.

You seem to have covered all the other possible options already.

woodchip 20:52 24 Nov 2004

The connecters on the card and the socket are pitted if it's a PCI card fit in another slot. If AGP spray the socket with Electronic switch cleaner

Gongoozler 21:16 24 Nov 2004

This is a VERY confusing problem! You've tried both PCI and AGP card, both only work by wriggling. You've tried a different monitor, and the problem is still there. The only other thing I can think of is a motherboard problem such as a crack in a track, a dry joint or a short to the case. Wriggling the graphics card also flexes the motherboard. You could try unscrewing the motherboard from the case and placing a sheet of card under it. I have even known a motherboard with a pin of a surface mount chip that had lifted from the track. Resoldering cured it, but the chances of hitting on the right pin are very slim.

woodchip 21:19 24 Nov 2004

Check the track with a watch makers eye glass

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?